53 Things We Didn't Know About the Moon (Spoiler: There's a Falcon Feather in There)
Throughout the history of our existence, we have been striving for distant stars since ancient times, but so far we have not been able to study even the objects closest to us. We don’t even know everything about the Moon today. But those facts that are gradually becoming known to us still do not cease to amaze us and make us learn more and more about our world, space and the universe. Have you ever wondered where the Earth's satellite came from? Why can't you see the other side? And did you know that the natural satellite looks more like a lemon than a sphere?
Facts proving that the Earth's satellite is cooler than science fiction writers can come up with.
We at Bemorepanda love science and we are sure that some facts about the Moon can surprise even the most sophisticated readers.
1. Every year, the Moon moves away from the Earth by about 3.8 cm. According to the calculations of astrophysicists, the satellite of our planet will be freed from gravitational influence in 15 billion years.
2. The surface temperature of the moon can reach the boiling point. During the lunar day, which lasts two weeks, the temperature at the equator can reach 120 °C. According to NASA, the lunar night also lasts about two weeks, during which the surface temperature can drop to -130°C to -170°C. In some places on the satellite near its poles, temperatures can drop to -25°C.
3. The moon actually has its own time zone, which is called Lunar Standard Time (LST). The lunar year consists of only 12 days. It may seem that this is some strange, short year, but it is not. The fact is that each lunar day consists of 29.5 Earth days, so the length of the year on the moon is approximately equivalent to the earth.
4. On the Moon, as well as on our planet, there are earthquakes. They are called moonquakes. Seismic fluctuations on the lunar surface are caused by the gravitational influence of the Earth and last only a few minutes.
5. There are many valuable resources on the Moon. For example, hydrogen, which can be used to propel rockets; water ice, which can be split into hydrogen and oxygen for fuel, and helium-3, a non-radioactive isotope of helium that could be used in the future to generate nuclear power.
6. Astrophysicists believe that the Moon is 4.5 billion years old.
7. Shadows appear darker on the Moon than on Earth. This is due to the fact that our satellite has a very thin atmosphere, so photons of light cannot be refracted and cast exactly the same shadows as on our planet, which creates their strong dark contrast.
8. The diameter of Australia is 600 km wider than the diameter of the Moon.
9. Scientists have a plausible hypothesis that the Moon appeared as a result of a giant asteroid the size of Mars falling to Earth, which occurred at the very beginning of the formation of the solar system, about 4.5 billion years ago.
10. A lunar eclipse saved Christopher Columbus from starvation. On February 29, 1504, Columbus used a lunar eclipse to frighten the local Arawak Indians on the island of Jamaica so that the Indian people would feed him and his crew members. The biographer Fernando, son of Columbus, told in his books that when the Arawaks saw the eclipse, they ran in hysterics and screams from all sides to the ships with supplies, begging the crew to save them from the wrath of God.
11. The moon has become something of a dump. After so many Nasa missions, there is a lot of waste and debris left on the Moon. Lunar rovers, probes, various scientific equipment, astronauts' waste products and even golf balls remained here.
Strange things remained on the surface of the satellite: a falcon feather, a piece of the Wright brothers' plane, a family photograph of astronaut Charles Duke, and a silicon disk of goodwill messages. By the way, the feather of a bird of prey was used by David Scott, who decided to test the theory of Galileo, who suggested that if there is no air resistance, heavy and light things fall at the same speed. Apollo 15 astronaut David Scott did just that. He threw a hammer and a feather on the moon from the same height and they touched the surface at the same time.
12. Birds use the Moon as a map to navigate and plot their flight path during their migration season.
13. Authors of gothic stories, poems and novels have been inspired by the mystique and creepiness of the full moon for centuries. So, the first mention of a werewolf on a full moon can be found in the Epic of Gilgamesh, written in 2100 BC. e. (XVIII-XVII centuries BC).
14. Many people still think that the 1969 moon landing was a movie. For example, one of the most common arguments of skeptics is that there are no stars visible in the background of pictures of astronauts from the Moon. Buzz Aldrin, the Apollo 11 lunar module pilot who visited the Earth satellite, slapped one such unbeliever in the face, who called the astronaut a liar.
15. In fact, the surface of the moon is dark. Although the satellite appears extraordinarily bright in the night sky, its reflectivity is only slightly higher than that of cracked old asphalt.
16. There is water on the moon. True, in the form of ice, which is both on the surface and under it. It's covered in dust and miner
16. There is water on the moon. True, in the form of ice, which is both on the surface and under it. It is covered with dust and minerals. Water appeared there, most likely due to comets.
17. Moon dust smells like gunpowder, and scientists do not know why (there are many versions).
18. Lunar craters can reveal cosmic history. Each crater separately can tell the story of the fall of various objects on the Earth's satellite. In addition, all the craters on the Moon can open the veil of mystery about the appearance of the satellite and even about the history of asteroid bombardments of the entire solar system.
19. Lunar research bases similar to Antarctic stations may soon appear on the satellite.
20. Earth and Moon have gravity, but not the same. The moon's gravity is weaker and in fact is only one-sixth that of the earth's. This means that you will weigh less when standing on the Moon than on Earth.
21. The dark side of the moon is a myth. In fact, both sides of the moon receive the same amount of sunlight. However, only one side of the satellite is always visible from Earth. This is because it rotates around its axis in exactly the same time as our planet. The other side, facing away from the Earth, can only be seen from spacecraft orbit.
22. Did you know that the moon shrinks over time? This, by the way, causes moonquakes. It turns out that the diameter of the satellite over the past few hundred million years has decreased by more than 50 meters. It is noteworthy that when it is compressed, "wrinkles" begin to form on the surface - "thrust faults", the earth's crust, which is moving towards each other.
23. The moon may seem like a perfect spherical sphere, but in fact it is more like a lemon.
24. The surface of the Moon is covered with extinct volcanoes, asteroid impact craters and frozen lava flows. And much of this can be seen with the naked eye, even novice astrologers.
25. Since the moon has a very thin atmosphere, a layer of dust on the surface - or a trace on it - can remain on the satellite for several centuries.
26. There are no seasons on the moon.
27. Many astronauts have reported symptoms of hay fever after exposure to lunar dust, most commonly sneezing, itchy throat, and eye pain.
28. In 1998, NASA carried out a controlled descent from orbit and the fall of the American automatic interplanetary station "Lunar Prospector" in a given area of the moon's surface, breaking it. In addition to scientific equipment, the ashes of geologist and planetary scientist Eugene Shoemaker were on board the device. This is the only person whose remains are scattered around the satellite.
29. The light created by the full moon is polarized in the Earth's atmosphere, and therefore dung beetles are better oriented during the full moon.
30. Without the Moon, the Earth would rotate much faster, as a result of which the wind speed would be 160 km / h, and the day would last only 8 hours.
31. Nearly 81% of mental health professionals believe that a full moon can cause mental illness in people.
32. In the 19th century, the Bavarian physician and astronomer Franz von Paula Gruythuisen claimed that he had seen cities and little green men on the Moon with his telescope and that the Earth's satellite was inhabited. And at first they even believed him, but over time it became clear to everyone that this was not so. Despite the loss of reputation, a crater on the Moon was named after him.
33. Some in ancient times considered the Moon a fiery bowl, while others believed that it was a celestial mirror reflecting the solid surface and seas of the Earth.
34. It seems that every night the moon changes its shape, but it is not. In fact, this effect occurs due to the fact that the satellite, revolving around the Earth, is differently illuminated by the Sun - this changes our perception of the Moon.
35. Only 12 people walked on the Moon. Twelve of the 24 people who have traveled from Earth to the Moon have walked on its surface. The first and most famous person to set foot on a moon was Neil Armstrong, who did so in 1969.
36. The first spacecraft to reach the Earth's satellite was the Soviet automatic interplanetary station Luna-1. This happened in 1959. The ship passed 5995 km from the surface of the moon before entering solar orbit.
37. More than 300,000 craters larger than 1 km in diameter have been discovered on the side of the Moon closest to us.
38. Stuart Allen Rusa, an American astronaut, took 500 tree seeds with him on a flight to lunar orbit in 1971. Subsequently, seedlings were grown from the seeds, which were planted in many US states and even in some foreign countries. By the way, such plants are called "Moon trees". Many are still growing.
39. The “dark side” of the Moon, invisible from Earth, was first photographed in 1959 by the Soviet Union from the Luna-3 space module.
40. By the way, the word "lunatic" comes from the fact that many believe that changes in mental state are directly related to the lunar cycles.
41. The ancient Sumerians were the first civilization to use the Moon for calendaring. Each month of this calendar had 29 or 30 days, depending on whether there was a full moon on the first day of the month.
42. The moon is the only natural satellite of the Earth. It flies around the Earth at a distance of about 385,000 kilometers.
43. As you know, the Sun and the Moon are not the same size. The Moon is 400 times smaller than the Sun, but also 400 times closer to the Earth.
44. During eclipses, the Moon, Earth and Sun are on the same straight line. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is directly between the Sun and the Moon, casting our planet's shadow onto the moon's surface. A lunar eclipse can only occur on a full moon.
45. The Moon is a very dusty rocky ball with a diameter of 3476 km - about a quarter of the size of the Earth.
46. In the 1950s, the US considered detonating a nuclear bomb on the moon. The secret project at the height of the Cold War was known as the Lunar Exploration Flight Study, or Project A119, and meant a show of force. Apparently, this is how the Americans wanted to respond to the USSR, which at that time was ahead of the space race.
47. The largest crater discovered on the Moon is called the South Pole-Aitken Basin, its diameter is 2400-2500 km, and its depth is about 8 km.
48. Powerful telescopes on Earth can only see 59% of the moon's surface.
49. To date, NASA has collected about 2200 samples of rocks, dust, sand, pebbles, water and other geological materials from the surface of the Moon.
50. Great Barrier Reef corals spawn in October, November and December just after the full moon.
You have to feel this.😁
Video is being processed...
Feel free to roam the site while you wait.
Pink Full Moon🌝
Free Horoscope for today, 20 of January 2021 - Forecasts and astrology readings
Read today's Horoscope and find out what the stars have in store for you next week! You have information about all the signs, provided by Bemorepanda.
A day when your soul goes through a wide range of feelings and sentiments. You are in the process of radical transformation towards everything around you and that is why you react in this way. Relax and reserve moments for meditation or to carry out pleasant activities. Towards evening you will manage to overcome the tense moments and you will see everything with different eyes.
Positive thinking, accompanying happy and optimistic people, dialogues with therapists or personal development specialists are the most appropriate actions. Your moods are fluctuating, there is a risk of sinking too deep into the unimportant and unpleasant details of life. With a little effort, goodwill and confidence that everything is possible, you will overcome the day with flying colors.
Due to older expenses, probably a debt to a friend or he has debts to you, these types of relationships are strained. It would be good to review your attitude towards others and become more realistic about the help they offer. In the afternoon, discomfort related to the circulatory system can be accentuated. Avoid tasks that require a lot of physical and mental effort.
Dialogues with bosses are tense. You may be held accountable for older professional matters. It is advisable to prepare well for any official confrontation, because you have great chances to solve everything in your favor. But, don't forget that everything that happens in the socio-professional sphere will propel you, sooner or later, on completely different coordinates of public image and even work.
Socio-professional approaches can encounter difficulties. Whether it's work tasks at work, or it's about relationships with people abroad, everything seems upside down and hard to understand. Set your priorities clearly, but don't talk too much about it to others. It is possible that bosses will reproach you for your recent service performance.
The day is favorable for paying debts or relating to financial institutions. The chances of winning from and through others are, for the time being, fluctuating. It seems that you have to spend more on the needs of relatives, life partner or professional collaborators. Limit yourself to what is strictly necessary and do not let others take advantage of your agony. In the afternoon, news from abroad can be seen.
It is good not to base today on the partnership aspects that will circulate around you. It is possible that your life partner or professional collaborators will address all kinds of reproaches, more or less well-founded. It is important to keep in mind that the necessary changes in these types of relationships are necessary and stringent. Think leisurely what other people you keep in your life.
The changes that can be seen at work will impel you to think seriously about the future of your professional career. It would be good to observe carefully what is happening in the field of work, but to leave the decision-making or the actual action for the next days. College relationships are strained and you should avoid the challenges of colleagues or bosses. The payment for the work submitted is still pending.
It would be great to pursue a hobby or simply meet friends for a walk. Your thoughts fly to seas and countries, making it harder to focus on work or serious personal matters. In the afternoon you will still have to solve various work tasks. Be careful, because both colleagues and bosses rely only on you.
A good day to discuss with family members about money issues, such as paying bills and taxes that concern the whole family. There may be many contradictions regarding the money and goods used and administered by all family members. Because subjectivism and emotion are accentuated, it is advisable not to take into account the remarks of others.
Everything related to communication, the transmission of information, the understanding of the messages of others is flawed. Depending on the situation, ask for the help of close, reliable people, especially if it is an official setting in which, today, much is said or written. It is possible that some topics discussed around you will make you think, but that's the way it should be. These are favorable moments to improve the way you work and communicate in a team.
Your thoughts and consequently your actions are directed to your personal budget of income and expenses. At first glance you may be unhappy with your financial situation, but have confidence and patience that everything is going in your favor. However, it would be good to re-evaluate your needs.
Free Horoscope for today, 22 of January 2021 - Forecasts and astrology readings
Read today's Horoscope and find out what the stars have in store for you next week! You have information about all the signs, provided by Bemorepanda.
The moon in Taurus creates a special relationship with money today. On the one hand, you may have some income, to collect an amount. On the other hand, it is possible to access a fund set aside. So, on the one hand, money comes, on the other hand, it leaves just as easily. Therefore, instead of making them circulate, maybe it would be better to tighten them. If you used to keep a professional project or a simple idea hidden, today is a good day to go out in front of them and make an impression.
The moon is at home and is not stressed today by aspects with other planets. Therefore, you should have no reason to stress either. It is even advisable to look at everything lightly, with detachment and to accept the way your life looks at this moment. The attitude "Whatever it is!" it might put you in touch with the "Live the moment!" exhortation. So a gentle, peaceful day, in which you should think about yourself and focus on what pleases you.
The moon in Taurus today predisposes you to a sweet lethargy. Therefore, it is not good to bother with everyday problems and try to make major changes. It's a good day to detach yourself a little from everything that happens and look at your life with objective eyes. It's a good day to enter the weekend atmosphere, to relax and somehow withdraw from the outside tumult.
Today comes for you as a relief, maybe like a drop of peace in a rather stormy sea. The moon in Taurus urges you to think very seriously, responsibly, about what you have to do next. You can decide to leave the past behind and rebuild your future starting tomorrow or, why not, today. Your thoughts are calmer and you can make wise decisions with serenity.
Since when have you not had a relaxing day at work? Today you should fully enjoy such an opportunity. The moon in the area of the social image induces a state of peace, calm, if not apathy, detachment and indifference. The important thing is that today you manage not to put in your heart any friction that may have bothered you lately. You may find that sometimes lack of involvement leaves things time to settle down.
Today, more than likely, you have something to learn. Either you find new and exciting information, or you read more, or you watch an interesting documentary, or you can make the most of courses and seminars. The moon in Taurus indicates an excellent day for enriching knowledge and expanding the vision of life. It can also be a day of contacts with foreigners, planning long trips or communicating in a foreign language.
What would it be like not to do much and everything would come to you and things would be in your favor? You may realize today, because the Moon in the area of the benefits obtained from others is on your side. Either you earn some money, or some promises come, or there are people who create favorable contexts for you to profit from, indirectly. With a little effort, you could be able to work out some issues related to investment or wealth in general today.
Today, you may feel like you are working at an information office. People come and go through your life, they sit on the phone, they ask your opinion, they want advice from you, they make you proposals, they come up with ideas, they somehow take you into account. The moon on the field of relationships attracts around you people of the most different and full of intentions. It's a day of popularity for you, so you have nothing to complain about. You can now enjoy the recognition and awareness of your own importance.
Who knows what plans you had for today, but if you intended to make major changes, to turn the world upside down, it would be good to start thinking about the big goals. Today it seems quite trivial, dominated by routine and does not encourage profound transformations at all. In this astral context, it would be best to take care of the usual chores, both domestic activities and daily office work.
It would be good to communicate, to make phone calls, to meet as many people as possible, to go on the road, because you can put yourself very well. Following the discussions, agreements, contracts or even collaborations, long-term advantageous partnerships can arise. The benefits, for the time being, are of a contractual nature, the money being somewhere in perspective. Otherwise, the Moon in the area of creativity and self-expression makes you radiate. You feel generous, you are willing to do favors and leave it to you, so that everyone has something to gain.
The moon sits very comfortably in the family area, in the home. The need for peace in the family is in the first place today. Wherever you are, you long for the place you call "home", where you feel that your roots are and you feel best with those close to you, with you and your soul. You can even make investments in the home or you may even be concerned about a change of address. Improving living conditions is a priority for you.
The moon in Taurus makes you eager to sit down for a drink today and chat with your loved ones, maybe with a relative you haven't seen in a long time. The tone of the discussion does not even have to be serious. Today you may feel like talking just for the sake of talking, exchanging ideas and dissecting the surrounding reality. Communication has therapeutic effects for you. Roads, short trips, visits are not excluded.