July 4th, 1776
Valentine's Day is celebrated annually on February 14th.
Every year on February 14, couples around the world congratulate each other on Valentine's Day, give gifts and traditional valentines. But how did such a wonderful tradition appear - to give sincere feelings and bright hearts?
It is believed that Valentine's Day has existed for more than 16 centuries and this holiday has a specific "culprit" - the Christian priest Valentine. This story dates back to about 269, while the Roman Empire was ruled by Emperor Claudius II.
The warring Roman army experienced an acute shortage of soldiers for military campaigns, and the commander was convinced that the main enemy of his “Napoleonic” plans was marriage, because a married legionnaire thinks much less about the glory of the empire than about how to feed his family. And, in order to preserve the military spirit in his soldiers, the emperor issued a decree forbidding the legionnaires to marry.
The history of Valentine's Day dates back to the Lupercalia of Ancient Rome. Lupercalia is a fertility festival in honor of the goddess of “feverish” love, Juno Februata, and the god Faun (Luperk is one of his nicknames), the patron saint of herds, which was celebrated annually on February 15th.
1. "When you give yourself, you receive more than you give. Because you were nothing and you are beginning to be fulfilled. ” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
2. "I don't know where my path leads, but I do better when I hold your hand." - Alfred de Musset
3. "To give everything, to sacrifice everything without hope of reward: that means love." - Albert Camus
4. "Love, like light, does not remain hidden." - Rabindranath Tagore
5. "The most generous gift that love brings is its wings." - George Byron
Almost nothing is known about the life of the real Christian Valentine (born in the 3rd century AD in the city of Terni - the Roman Empire). The meager facts of a tragic biography are cut out from contradictory legends. They say that the Bishop of Terni, being a young man, showed young lovers a special disposition - he helped write letters with declarations of love, reconciled those who died, gave flowers to young spouses. His arrest was allegedly caused by the fact that the Roman emperor Julius Claudius II did not allow the soldiers of the imperial legions to fall in love and marry, and Valentine secretly married the legionnaires.
In the late Middle Ages in France and England, the life of St. Valentina gradually began to acquire legends associated with the secret wedding of couples in love.
According to the Golden Legend, in those distant and dark times, the imperious and cruel Roman emperor Claudius II came to the conclusion that a single man, not burdened with a wife and family, would be better off fighting on the battlefield for the glory of Caesar, and forbade men to marry, and women and for girls to marry the men they love. And St. Valentine was an ordinary field doctor and priest who sympathized with the unfortunate lovers and secretly from everyone, under the cover of night consecrated the marriage of loving men and women.
Soon the activities of St. Valentine became known to the authorities, and he was put in prison, sentenced to death. In conclusion, Saint Valentine met the warden's beautiful daughter, Julia. Before his death, the priest in love wrote a declaration of love to his beloved girl - a valentine, where he spoke about his love, and signed it "Your Valentine". It was read after he was executed, and the execution itself took place on February 14, 269.
6. "Give the person you love: wings to fly, roots to return, and reasons to stay." - Dalai Lama
7. "It is not beauty that makes us love, but love that makes us see beauty." - Lev Tolstoy
8. "Don't think that you can set the course for love. If she considers you worthy, she will direct your course. " - Octavian Paler
9. "The greatest joy of life is to be convinced that you are loved." - Victor Hugo
10. "Men create by imagination, but women create by love." - Rabindranath Tagore
According to another legend, the Roman patrician Valentine, who was a secret Christian who also converted his servants to the new faith, once performed a wedding ceremony for two of them. By denunciation or by coincidence, all three were detained by the guards. Valentine, as a member of the upper class, could have escaped death, but not his servant. Then, wanting to encourage the doomed fellow believers, Valentine writes them letters in the form of red hearts, meaning Christian love.
A blind girl was supposed to send messages to the newlyweds, but unexpectedly Valentine himself came to the dungeons, who persuaded the guards to let his servants go in exchange for his life. Before entering the arena of death, Valentine handed over the last letter, consecrated by faith and kindness, to a blind girl, who after that received her sight and became a beauty.
Scarlet heart valentines cards are now very well known as a symbolic gift on Valentine's Day. The creation of the first "valentine" is also attributed to the Duke of Orleans in 1415. He sat in a dungeon, and thus perhaps fought off boredom by writing love letters to his wife. And the greatest distribution of postcards-"valentines" reached already in the XVIII century.
The account of electronic messages on the Internet goes on February 14 to millions.
11. "I would prove to people how wrong they are to think that they stop loving when they grow old, without knowing that they only grow old when they stop loving." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
12. "The woman is a creature meant to be loved, not understood." - Sigmund Freud
13. "Love is more afraid of change than of destruction." - Friedrich Nietzsche
14. "A sure measure of character is the feeling you have for a man after you have loved him." - Titu Maiorescu
15. "Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all their being." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
It's hard to say what other holiday is as popular as Valentine's Day. On this day, lovers give each other gifts and valentine cards. Most of the "valentines" are anonymous, have no return address, are written from right to left or left hand. So it is accepted - it adds mystery. True, the recipients are then forced to look for an anonymous messenger if they believe in fate.
Every nation celebrates Valentine's Day in different ways. The British, for example, on Valentine's Day send love messages not only to friends and acquaintances, but also to their pets. The Japanese, on the other hand, turned out to be more original - they remade February 14 into a kind of "March 8 for Men", when gifts are received mainly by the strong sex.
Since 1969, as a result of the reform of worship, Saint Valentine was removed from the liturgical calendar of the Catholic Church (along with other Roman saints, information about whose life is contradictory and unreliable). However, even before 1969, the church did not approve and did not support the traditions of celebrating this day.
Whether it was so or otherwise, but, apparently, it was from there that it was customary to write love notes on Valentine's Day - “valentines“. And on this holiday they like to arrange weddings and get married. It is believed that this will be the key to eternal love.
16. "Love is the wing given by God to the soul to ascend to Him." - Michelangelo Buonarroti
17. "I think the world was too big for me. Instead, a world reduced to "two" seemed ideal to me. " - Octavian Paler
18. A couple of lovers cross the park, holding hands, later they will pass by here again, but they will have a different expression in their eyes and a different meaning in the handshake, now the purity of the dawn is in them. (Jerome K. Jerome)
20. "Love is the greatest strength of mankind, and yet the most modest we can imagine." - Mahatma Gandhi
21. Love is a wonderful disease: from a fire two people lie in bed. (Robert Lembke)
22. One word can save us from all the hardships and pains of life: the word love. (Sophocles)
23. There is only one dignity after all - love… It is probably the only drop of eternity that is given to us. (Helen Hayes)
24. Assumptions can ruin a relationship. (Henry Winkler)
25. Because the revelation of the perfect union is this: you find yourself in the moment you lose yourself. (Mircea Eliade, Wedding in Heaven)
26. Love is anything you can betray. (John LeCarre)
27. It is not worth crying for anyone, and whoever deserves it will not make you cry. (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
28. You know you're in love when you don't want to go to bed, because reality is better than dreams. (Dr. Seuss)
29. Love is the kind of tree whose fruit does not grow on the branches, but on the root. (Bruce Boyd)
30. Love is nothing but our discovery in others and the pleasure of recognition. (Alexander McCall Smith)
31. But his eyes are blind. You have to search with your heart! - Antoine de Saint (Exupery, Little Prince)
32. I love you not for who you are, but for who I am when I am with you. (Roy Croft)
33. When we are in love we look completely different from what we were before. (Blaise Pascal)
34. You realize that you have fallen in love if you do not want to fall asleep because the reality is finally better than your visas. (Dr. Seuss)
35. I love you, and this is the beginning of it all (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
36. But what can love mean? How long can it last? Nothing lasts in this world; everything passes, everything pretends, everything dies to be born again, otherwise, elsewhere, with other people. (Mircea Eliade)
37. When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew - William Shakespeare)
38. Give it to the person you love: wings to fly, roots to return, and reasons to stay. (Dalai Lama)
39. Where there is love is life. (Mahatma Gandhi)
40. The last goodbye, in love, is the one that is not said. (Alexandre Dumas)
41. Love, in all its forms, is the only path that leads to moral purity. (Pierre Lescot)
42. Love makes us dive into the unknown and then gives us the courage to resist. (Pam Brown)
43. Love is the healthiest disease. (Euripides)
44. Love! It is the wing given by God to the soul to ascend to it. (Michelangelo Buonarotti)
45. What happiness to be loved, and, oh, what a blessing to love! (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)
46. In love we taste, we enjoy ourselves, we delight in the pleasures of our erotic trembling, for this reason, love is all the more intense and deeper the greater the distance from the loved one. (Emil Cioran)
47. Love is an act of eternal forgiveness, the tender gaze that becomes a habit. (Peter Ustinov)
48. Love is the greatest feeling, which works miracles, which creates new people, creates the highest moral values. (A. S. Makarenko)
49. Woe to him whose heart did not learn from his youth to hope, to love, and to trust in life. (Joseph Conrad)
50. The saddest thing about love is not only that love does not last forever, but that the despair it causes is easy to forget. (William Faulkner)
Valentine’s Day. There are several options, given that the exact origin of the holiday is still a mystery. The feast of St. Valentine, or Valentine's Day, is, according to historians, a combination of Christian and Roman traditions, transformed and modernized over the centuries. The origin of this Catholic holiday is unclear and there are many legends about the characters who inspired it. One of the stories recovered from the mists of history centers on a priest from Rome - named Valentin, obviously - who is said to have lived in the third century AD.
At that time, Emperor Claudius II (or Claudius Gothicus) decided that bachelors were better soldiers than married men - the former would devote body and soul to war, while the latter would be torn apart by the longing for wives and children and not he would give his all on the battlefield — so he outlawed marriage in the case of young people. Father Valentin, considering the measure unjust, defied the emperor and officiated secret weddings for couples in love. Claudius found out and sentenced him to death.
Of course is the day of love, but there are a lot of people who are alone on this day. To cheer them up, Bemorepanda colected a top of funny quotes.
1. Soon on February 14th. Someone does not have a second half, but this is not a reason to lose heart! After all, it is on this day that you can meet your happiness (at least in a drunken state).
2. I have a dream that the two of us are drinking wiskey under the fence .. this is such a damn picture, Happy Valentine's Day.
3. Valentine's Day is not a holiday for lovers, but for sellers of chocolates.
4. For most, February 14 is a normal day, but deep down, everyone hopes for something more.
5. Dear! I congratulate you on Valentine's Day! Let today, under the watchful eye of Valentine, our hearts once again merge in unison and the words of love will sound: "I love you!"
6. Someone celebrates February 14 with their second half, and someone gets drunk and cries ... to each his own ...
7. February 14 is the saddest and loneliest day of the year.
8. February 14th is just a reminder that there are 14 days left until spring.
9. On February 14, Banana and Ribbed Valentines are in great demand.
10. You need to love and please each other not on Valentine's Day, but 365 days a year ...
11. I love the smell of coffee in the morning, beautiful stories, fallen leaves and writing your name with my finger on a foggy window ... and I also love you ... Happy Holidays
12. I love you so sincerely, so tenderly, especially, of course, without clothes! Happy holiday, darling!
13. In the ocean of bottomless feelings, we will drown headlong, because Valentine's Day is your and mine !!!
14. On this day I will receive a bunch of unnecessary cards and gifts, but not a single declaration of love.
15. February 14th ... I will sit at the computer with a cup of tea, because this is the only thing that will warm me on this day ...
16. February 14th ... I hope that there will be more people who will enjoy this day than those who will listen to the player and say "It's just a day" ...
17. I still hope that on February 14, a Valentine from my beloved will be on my table. But, unfortunately, my cat will not be able to sign it.
18. I give you a HEART of unreal beauty ... AND I HOPE that you will believe: in my heart ONLY YOU!
19. I love you! More than anyone else in the world !!! You are my only, beloved, and the best girl in my life ... ”- the mirror told me on Valentine's Day.
20. Saint Valentine is honored by the earth, the planet has gone mad from love. And I will go, wanting only you. My love, save me soon!
21. I sincerely congratulate you on Valentine's Day, Happy eyes, illuminated with love! Let sadness melt like a winter snowflake, Valentine's card will help you with this !!!
22. Since we are all in love, How else, by God ?! The heart has one road - Love! We are strong with love.
23. Why are you sad, silly? Why do you dream about him? He's not worth you, baby. He's not completely in love with you. You will grow up and be happy. There will be a sun in your heart. Be patient, there will be a boy in life with whom you two will be good.
24. Confessions, wishes, congratulations. Anger, pangs of jealousy, doubt. Sometimes I get angry, but sometimes I don't sleep, all because I love you!
25. It's great that today is Valentine's Day! After all, this is another reason to tell you how much I love you, mirror.
26. How nice to know that today is February 14th and you have someone who will make this holiday even better !!
27. Valentine's Day is the best time to confess your feelings and, most importantly, find out if they are mutual ...
28. Valentine's Day, I will walk down the street again, looking at the kissing couples, no, I will not envy them, because I myself know that it is only me who is to blame for being alone now.
29. On St. Valentine's Day I am in love and you are loved, how I would like you to confess your love to me!
30. Being lonely on Valentine's Day is the same as being lonely the other 364 days. Don't make this a tragedy.
31. On Valentine's Day, I want to say to the love of my life: "Hey, and why are we still not familiar?
32. On Valentine's Day I wish you money and intimacy. There will be money and sex - why do you need Valentine?
33. You don't have to think on Valentine's Day. We must act!
34. What? Valentine's Day soon? Damn, I forgot to get a boyfriend again.
35. This is our first day of lovers together with you! We, like magnets, are drawn to each other more and more and I hope that we will have many more such days!
36. This day will just remind me of how we celebrated it with you last year.
37. Oh, yes, February 14 is on the nose. Soon, these postcards in the form of organs are everywhere again.
38. On Valentine's Day, you can't do without Vaseline!
39. Why is a citizen's trouser leg protruding on Valentine's Day? No, he is not a maniac at all, he is bringing cognac to the department!
40. I gave my beloved an iPhone on New Year, now on Valentine's Day it demands a Yamaha mini-system for it, guys, do not repeat my mistakes! Do not think that having bought an iPhone, you will only get off with cases later!)
41. I congratulate everyone on Valentine's Day !! Girls give guys love !!! Guys, and you cherish and appreciate the love that girls give you!
42. February 14 - Valentine's Day, when it is customary to give gifts to your most beloved people. It's also a good day to confess your love to someone.
43. February 14 - St. Valentine's birthday, March 8 - the day of his death.
44.14 February - a holiday after which it is not the head that hurts, but the heart ...
45. Soon, on all Internet sites in the country: February 14 is the official Forever Alone day.
46. Look at the world with a gentle smile! Live easily and joyfully! I wish you light and hope! Good luck and LOVE!
47. But I want to dedicate this status to all the cool women who, like me, will celebrate alone on Valentine's Day, sit at home with a chocolate bar and a mug of tea ...
48. Do you remember how we were looking for a beautiful date to get married?
49. And I'm on February 14 with the boy for a walk, and where are you going? - And I drink, I drink ..
50. So many plans for February 14, I don't know where to stop: watching movies, sleeping or surfing the Internet.
Leading British sexologist Tracey Cox, the author of numerous books, named the main sex trends of 2020 and shared predictions for 2021. Her words are quoted by the Daily Mail.
According to Cox, 2021 will be the year of sexual experimentation. According to a study by a British sex toy retailer, in 2020, 52 percent of couples surveyed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and self-isolation have tried something new in sex: role-playing, car sex and the embodiment of partner's erotic fantasies. 71 percent of them said they will continue to experiment after the end of the pandemic.
Representatives of one of the sex dating sites noted that in 2020 an unusually large number of users began to identify themselves as bisexual. They assume that the number of people open to new sexual experiences will only grow in the next year.
The sexologist claims that people began to search more often in search engines for information about BDSM. In 2020, sales of strap-ons have grown by 200 percent. Ten percent of the 1,000 British women surveyed said they used them in sex with male partners, another ten percent admitted that they would like to try.
Cox said that in 2021, people will become even more open to long-distance relationships: due to the restrictions imposed by the pandemic, meeting in person is becoming more difficult. According to one of the dating apps, half of the users are ready to look for a partner "anywhere", before the majority preferred to set strict geographic boundaries. 66 percent of those surveyed said talking with a partner became much more important to them than before. 70 percent of respondents are ready for a virtual date, and 33 percent are open to long-term long-distance relationships.
In 2021, the trend for sex toys will continue: a third of respondents bought new devices in 2020. At the same time, sales of toys for couples have grown unprecedentedly in the past year. Cox said the category is usually much less in demand.
The sexologist noted that the pandemic made people remember about their former partners. One in five respondents admitted that he wrote or called them, a quarter of the respondents said that they themselves contacted them. The overwhelming majority supported the dialogue. In most cases, people just wanted to know if their ex was doing well.
Cox emphasized that in 2020, many began to practice mindfulness during sex: that is, enjoying the moment, and not worrying about their appearance, skills or problems reaching orgasm.
Earlier, sexologist Emily Morse told why women fake orgasm. According to her, they often do this to please the male ego and avoid embarrassing situations.
Valentine's Day, the Western holiday of love is celebrated every year on February 14. On this day, lovers around the world celebrate Valentine's Day. This holiday, when people send about 150 million greeting cards, is considered the second most popular holiday after Christmas.
The origin of this holiday of lovers is not clear even today, there are only the legends that mysteriously surround this day and that have in their center St. Valentine. The first attestation of February 14 was in the year 498, when three saints were appointed by Pope Gelasius I, the date of their celebration being this day.
But the holiday remains associated with the name of Valentine in Rome, who was sent to prison for secretly officiating marriages for soldiers who were forbidden to do so. While in prison, he allegedly healed his guardian's daughter, Asterius. It seems that, before the execution, he would have sent her a letter, which he signed with "your Valentine", as a sign of goodbye.
On the other hand, other legends claim that this day is celebrated in early February, because during this period the Roman holiday Lupercalia took place. The event took place around February 15 and honored fertility, Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture, but also Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome.
- Valentine's Day is coming
2.Do you have a crush?
3.Around the corner
4.Violets are blue
5.The day of love
6.Single on Valentine's Day
7.It's Valentine's Day
8.Stuff of love
10.Spending Valentine's Day
11.Solo for too long
12.Kanye likes kanye
14.Saved money on Valentines Day
16. What about lonliness
18.Valentines Day less than 2 weeks away
20.Do I have a date for Valentines Day?
21.Treating you right
22.This fish, is my fish
25.When bae text you love messages
27.The day I met you
28.Hi there, how are you
29.I am not the best
30.Both crazy, but you're in love
Valentine's Day is celebrated annually on February 14th. It is the holiday that gives couples another reason to express their feelings, but also the holiday that helps single people meet their soul mate. Here are the traditions and customs around Valentine's Day.
Valentine’s Day is celebrated annually around the world, but under different names, but also on other days. For example, in Latin America, Valentine's Day is known as Love Day and Friendship Day.
Also in Brazil, Valentine’s Day is celebrated on June 12, the day before St. Anthony, the patron saint of marriage. Valentine's Day customs vary from culture to culture. Over time, Valentine's Day has given many gifts, but the modern tradition of giving chocolate as a gift came in the late 1800s from Richard Cadbury, son of John Cadbury, the famous chocolate maker.
In Japan, women are the ones who give gifts to men on February 14th. It's true that I only give away chocolate, and the chocolate I choose differs depending on the type of relationship. For example, the normal one is offered out of obligation to bosses, colleagues and friends, and the fine one, to the lover, fiancé or husband.
And in South Korea, women offer chocolate to men. And they give women anything but chocolate. In Finland, many couples get engaged or get married on February 14, but this day is more about friendship than love. According to tradition, it is an occasion for gatherings between friends, who make symbolic gifts. In some parts of Britain, on Valentine's Day, girls put bay leaves under their pillows and eat only salted eggs, believing that this is how they will dream of their chosen one overnight.
This holiday is celebrated all over the world. And of course we also have a lot of jokes, besides all the love and sweetness. Bemorepanda has collected this funny top for you.
- Brace yourselves ,Valentine's Day is coming
2.You have a crush on someone?
3.Valentine's day is around the corner
4.Roses are red
5.About 14 February
6.Single people on Valentine's Day
7.It's Valentine's Day
8.All this cute stuff
9.To and from
10.How I plan on spending Valentine's Day
11.I've been solo
12.I like you more than Kanye likes kanye
14.Saved tons of money on Valentines Day
15.I don't require a lot of attention
16.Sad about being alone
17.Is your name Wi-fi?
18.Valentines Day less than 2 weeks away
20.Do I have a date for Valentines Day?
21.When you finally find someone
22.This fish, is my fish
25.When bae text you some cute
27.The day I met you
29.I am not the best
30.Both crazy, but you're in love
31.I just want you
32.Love is in the air
33.I have a date
34.No time for that
35.Alone on other days
37.Before Valentine's Day
39.I hate you
40.Are you Google?
41.Me on Valentine's
42.Why you are alone?
43.Flowers and candy?
44.Plans for Valentines?
45.Plans for this day
46.Period on Valentines
47.Going to work
48.A great big pug
49.Pretending to be shocked
50.There is a date