50 interesting facts about the full moon elipse that you should be aware off - Bemorepanda
Lunar Eclipse - An eclipse that occurs when the Moon enters the cone of the shadow cast by the Earth. The diameter of the Earth's shadow spot at a distance of 363,000 km (the minimum distance of the Moon from the Earth) is about 2.5 times the diameter of the Moon, so that the entire Moon can be shaded. At each moment of the eclipse, the degree of coverage of the lunar disk by the earth's shadow is expressed by the phase of the eclipse. The magnitude of the phase is determined by the distance 0 from the center of the moon to the center of the shadow. In astronomical calendars, the values of Ф and 0 are given for different moments of the eclipse.
When the Moon completely falls into the shadow of the Earth during an eclipse, they speak of a total lunar eclipse, when partially - a partial eclipse. A lunar eclipse can be observed in half of the Earth's territory (where at the time of the eclipse the Moon is above the horizon). The view of the shadowy moon from any point of view is negligibly different from another point and is the same. The maximum theoretically possible duration of the total phase of a lunar eclipse is 108 minutes; such were, for example, the lunar eclipses of August 13, 1859 and July 16, 2000.
During an eclipse (even a total one), the Moon does not disappear completely, but turns dark red. This is explained by the fact that the Moon continues to shine even in the total eclipse phase. The sun's rays that pass tangentially to the earth's surface are scattered in the Earth's atmosphere and due to this scattering they partially reach the moon. Because the Earth's atmosphere is most transparent to the rays of the red-orange part of the spectrum, these rays reach the surface of the Moon to a greater extent during an eclipse, which explains the color of the lunar disk. In fact, it is the same effect as the red-orange glow of the sky near the horizon (dawn) before sunrise or even after sunset. The Danjon scale is used to assess the brightness of the eclipse.
Bemorepanda collected 50 interesting facts about the full moon eclipse, that you can check below.
1. An observer on the Moon, at the time of a total (or partial, if on the shaded side of the Moon) of a lunar eclipse sees a total solar eclipse (the eclipse of the Sun by the Earth).
2. If the Moon falls in the partial shadow of the Earth only partially, a partial eclipse is observed. With it, part of the Moon is dark and part, even in the maximum phase, remains in partial shade and is illuminated by the sun's rays.
3.There is a penumbra around the cone of the Earth's shadow - a region of space where the Earth hides the Sun only partially. If the Moon passes through the penumbra but does not enter the shadow, a penumbral eclipse occurs. With this, the brightness of the moon decreases, but insignificantly: such a decrease is almost imperceptible to the naked eye and is recorded only by instruments. Only when the moon in a penumbral eclipse passes by the cone of full shadow, with a clear sky, can you notice a slight darkening on one edge of the lunar disk.
4. At least two lunar eclipses occur each year, however, due to the mismatch of the plans of the lunar and terrestrial orbits, their phases differ.
5. Eclipses are repeated in the same order every 6585 days (or 18 years 11 days and 8 hours - a period called saros). By knowing where and when a total lunar eclipse was observed, you can determine the exact time of subsequent and previous eclipses, which are clearly visible in this area.
6. This cyclical nature often helps the exact date of the events described in the historical annals.
7. The eclipse, whether solar or lunar, has always frightened and delighted mankind. From a scientific point of view, this is an astronomical phenomenon, during which one celestial body shuts off the flow of light to another and visually creates the impression that the planets are disappearing.
8. Any processes and phenomena that occur on and around the Earth have a certain conditioned influence on our planet and its inhabitants. Solar and lunar eclipses can cause various types of cataclysms, as well as changes in the psychological and physiological health of people.
9. During a total lunar eclipse, the Moon disappears completely into the shadow of the Earth. The total phase of a lunar eclipse lasts much longer than the total phase of a solar eclipse.
10. The shape of the edge of the earth's shadow during lunar eclipses served the ancient Greek philosopher and scientist Aristotle as one of the strongest proofs of the Earth's sphericity. The philosophers of ancient Greece calculated that the Earth is about three times the size of the Moon, simply based on the duration of eclipses (the exact value of this coefficient is 3.66).
11. The moon at the time of a total lunar eclipse is actually devoid of sunlight, so a total lunar eclipse is visible from anywhere in the Earth's hemisphere. The eclipse begins and ends simultaneously for all geographical points. However, the local time for this phenomenon will be different.
12. As the Moon moves from west to east, the left edge of the Moon first enters the shadow of the earth.
13. An eclipse can be total or partial, depending on whether the Moon enters the shadow of the Earth completely or passes near its edge.
14. The closer the lunar eclipse is to the lunar node, the greater its phase. Finally, when the lunar disk is covered not by a shadow but by a penumbra, penumbra eclipses occur. It is difficult to see them with the naked eye.
15. During an eclipse, the Moon hides in the shadow of the Earth and, it seems, should disappear from view every time, because the Earth is opaque. However, the Earth's atmosphere scatters the sun's rays, which hit the moon's eclipsing surface, "bypassing" the Earth.
16. The reddish color of the disc is due to the fact that the red and orange rays pass best through the atmosphere. The reddish color of the disk during a total lunar eclipse is due to the scattering of sunlight in the Earth's atmosphere.
17. Each lunar eclipse is different in terms of the distribution of brightness and color in the shadow of the earth. The color of the eclipsed moon is often estimated according to a special scale proposed by French astronomer André Danjon:
0 points - the eclipse is very dark, in the middle of the eclipse the Moon is almost or completely invisible.
1 point - the eclipse is dark, gray, the details of the lunar surface are completely invisible.
2 points - the eclipse is dark red or reddish, a darker part is seen near the center of the shadow.
3 points - a red-brick eclipse, the shadow is surrounded by a gray or yellowish edge.
4 points - a copper-red eclipse, very bright, the outer area is light, bluish.
18. If the plane of the Moon's orbit coincided with the plane of the ecliptic, then the lunar eclipses would be repeated every month. But the angle between these planes is 5 °, and the Moon crosses the ecliptic twice a month only at two points, called the nodes of the lunar orbit. Even ancient astronomers knew about these knots, calling them the Dragon's Head and Tail (Rahu and Ketu). For a lunar eclipse to occur, the moon on a full moon must be close to the node of its orbit.
19. There are usually 1-2 lunar eclipses per year. In a few years it may not be at all and sometimes the third one happens. In the rarest cases, there is a fourth eclipse, but only a partial penumbra.
20. The period of time after which the moon returns to its node is called the draconian moon, which is 27.21 days. After this time, the Moon crosses the ecliptic at a point offset from the previous 1.5 ° westward passage. The phases of the month are repeated on average every 29.53 days (synodic month). The time interval of 346.62 days in which the center of the Sun's disk passes through the same node of the lunar orbit is called the draconian year.
21. The recurrence period of eclipses - saros - will be equal to the time period after which the beginning of these three periods will coincide. Saros in ancient Egyptian means "repetition." Long before our era, even in antiquity, it was established that saros lasts 18 years 11 days 7 hours. Saros includes: 242 draconian months or 223 synodic months or 19 draconian years. During each Saros 70 to 85 eclipses occur; of these, there are usually about 43 solar and 28 monthly.
22. During the year, the seven largest eclipses can occur - either five solar and two lunar, or four solar and three lunar. The minimum number of eclipses per year is two solar eclipses. Solar eclipses occur more often than lunar eclipses, but are rarely observed in the same area, as these eclipses are only visible in a narrow band of the moon's shadow. At a certain point on the surface, a total solar eclipse is observed on average once every 200-300 years.
23. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon, and the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon. This happens on a full moon if it is observed near the lunar node. A lunar eclipse affects the psyche to a greater extent than life's plan of events, giving rise to a feeling of excruciating anxiety and a desire to do something without a clear understanding of the meaning and purpose of actions. Under a lunar eclipse, people experience a wave of emotions, there are illusions about partners and their own role in relationships
24. A solar eclipse can only occur on a new moon. A lunar eclipse can only occur on a full moon.
25. The moon governs everything related to the interests of the home and motherhood and represents the external part of a person's personality. Personality is what we see in the external expression (appearance, words, deeds), that is, everything that distinguishes one person from another.
26. The moon governs the stomach, breast, fertility, household, maternal instinct, adaptation to everyday circumstances, popularity. It has a significant impact on the general, mundane activities of everyday life.
27. The sun rules character, personality (what we really are), power and authority, authority among others. The sun means the influence of high-ranking people and the occupation of high positions.
28. Everything that happens a week before the eclipse has a completely different quality from what happens a week later. Events that occur a week before an eclipse can rarely be reconciled with how they were planned. They get out of control, gaining about higher purpose and higher speed.
29. Everything that happens on the day of the eclipse itself is endowed with fatal significance and is almost out of human control. During an eclipse, we are aware of the information that may have been available to us before, but for one reason or another did not reach our consciousness. Therefore, important decisions should be made in the week after the eclipse.
30. Solar and lunar eclipses affect differently. Solar eclipses stimulate a crisis of consciousness, change our internal attitudes, bringing events that we did not consciously cause, dictated by external circumstances. Situations conditioned by karmic predestination are made here.
31. Lunar eclipses are more associated with events caused by our thoughts and feelings. These indicate the area of daily life where the changes caused by the solar eclipse will take place.
32. If a lunar eclipse precedes a solar eclipse, the situation in a certain area of life reaches a critical point, requiring reorganization and pushing to rethink and seek a new approach to the time of the solar eclipse following the moon. If a solar eclipse is followed by a lunar eclipse, what will be determined at the beginning of the cycle will inevitably manifest itself in the next lunar eclipse - new conscious attitudes will be realized or rejected in situations that will determine the next stage of life. This can be a time of important choices and life-changing decisions.
33. Unlike a solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse is the completion of a stage in our lives. The Enlightenment came to the opposition - after passing this point, the Moon begins its journey back to the Sun.
34. A lunar eclipse is a time of maximum illumination, manifestation of questions and problems. This is a crisis in which something will be drastically changed or thrown away. One way or another, the circumstances will not remain the same. This is the time when relationship issues, legal disputes and open conflicts come to the fore. It is the most public and public time of the year, revealing information that could have remained hidden for a long time. The information spreads instantly, becoming public knowledge. The secret can be revealed. If you've been looking for someone or something, you might find it during a lunar eclipse. Carries out long-term projects and tasks. It can bring a long-awaited meeting or it can end a long-awaited breakup.
35. A lunar eclipse is a time of public outcry, termination of contracts or, conversely, mergers and acquisitions of parties. Although the conflict, clarifying the positions of the parties, is often a way to resolve the issue, however, it should be remembered that at this time the emotional tension is too strong, so beware of making spontaneous decisions. What will be destroyed during this period is difficult to restore.
36. A lunar eclipse is a cosmic phenomenon that occurs when the moon falls in the shadow of the earth. Moreover, as in the case of the Sun, events may have more development options.
37. Depending on some factors, a lunar eclipse can be total or partial. Logically, we can well assume what this term or another that characterizes a particular eclipse means.
38. A total lunar eclipse is a lunar eclipse that is usually seen where it is above the horizon at the right time. The satellite is in the shadow of the Earth, but a total eclipse is not able to completely hide the Moon. In this case, it fades only slightly, acquiring a dark, reddish hue. This is because even when it is completely in the shade, the lunar disk does not cease to be illuminated by the sun's rays passing through the Earth's atmosphere.
39. The partial lunar eclipse is in the case of the Sun, the darkness of the visible surface of the Moon is often incomplete. We can observe a partial eclipse when only part of the Moon is in the shadow of the Earth. This means that when part of the satellite is eclipsed, that is, shaded by our planet, then the second part of it continues to be illuminated by the Sun and remains clearly visible to us.
40. The penumbral eclipse, which differs from other astronomical processes, will seem much more interesting and unusual. This type of eclipse of the Earth's satellite occurs slightly differently than partially. From open sources or from our own experience, it is easy to see that there are areas on the surface of the Earth where the sun's rays are not completely hidden and therefore cannot be a shadow. But even here there is no passage of direct sunlight. This is the region of the penumbra. And when the Moon, caught right in this place, is in the penumbra of the Earth, we can observe an eclipse of the penumbra.
41. It's unbelievable, but true: the number of solar eclipses is greater, even if the Moon is smaller than After all, knowing what an eclipse is and why it occurs, one might think that the shadow of a larger object is more likely to cover a smaller one than the other way around. Based on this logic, the size of the Earth makes it possible to hide the lunar disk in the shortest time.
42. For those who have extraordinary abilities, the lunar eclipse can present a surprise in the form of doubling the extrasensory abilities, increasing the acuity of perception and intuition.
43. In the Middle Ages, mankind feared seriously for its present and future in times of eclipse, seeing only the negative consequences. Today, old prejudices have sunk in the summer, and modern science has begun to defend the interests of humanity. Long-term studies have shown that solar eclipses carry various energies. The influence of eclipses in a balanced way is both positive and negative. To smooth over the latter, esotericism is recommended to follow certain rules associated with some restrictions that are not typical of everyday life.
44. The lunar eclipse also, according to scientific research, helps to drive away the old resentment from your conscience, to reduce the feeling of guilt for past mistakes, regardless of their severity. Anything negative can lead to destruction and chaos. The energy of the eclipse will help to release the accumulated negative energy and, in return, will gain a positive and an unprecedented inspiration. In a lunar eclipse, it is advisable to forgive your criminals.
45. Lunar eclipses are as old as our planet (and the moon itself), and the moon has long played a role in shaping people's religious beliefs. So it's no wonder that lunar eclipses - especially the spectacular one in the world on Friday - have a serious history behind them.
46. The lunar cycle changes the quality of the light at night, and an eclipse temporarily throws the entire cycle out of the highest path. So it is no wonder that an eclipse can affect nocturnal species. Lemurs, for example, stop their activity altogether (maybe those big eyes aren't that great without moonlight?) While bats increase their activity before and after the eclipse to go hunting.
47. Record duration! The longest total solar eclipse in the last 100 years was on July 22, 2009. It has been admired in India, Nepal, Bhutan and China. The total dark phase lasted up to 6 minutes and 29 seconds.
48. The only place in the solar system where an eclipse can be seen is the Earth. However, some planets also have spectacular phenomena. A triple eclipse can occur on Jupiter at the same time, because it has several satellites. The phenomenon can be observed from Earth with the help of a telescope.
49. The lunar eclipse occurs when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are placed on an axis, in that order. At a lunar eclipse, the phase of the moon will always be a "full moon".
50. The moon is moving away from the Earth! This phenomenon is proven and it has been estimated that over 600 million years ago, the Moon will be so far away that we will not see a total solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is likely to be visible twice from the same place for 360 years, however, in Carbondale, Illinois, a solar eclipse will be observed in 2017, and in 2024 the second will be observed.
One of the most famous among the oldest civilizations is the Mayan tribe. Until now, scientists in questions of the existence of the Maya civilization have left for themselves a lot of unknown. The researchers managed to determine that the Mayan civilization appeared in the 1st millennium BC. Their legacy lies in unusual writing and beautiful architectural structures, in advanced mathematics and astronomy, in art objects and in the famous incredibly accurate calendar.
Despite the huge amount of unknown facts, the most secret for historians was the question of what led to the fall of the highly developed Mayan civilization. At the same time, the first prerequisites for such a decay, according to scientists, appeared around the 9th century AD. Not only the decline of the Mayan civilization, but also many other mysterious moments from the life of this tribe to this day haunt scientists. The last place where such tribes were recorded was the north of Guatemala. Only archaeological excavations tell about the history and culture of the Maya.
1. Many people mistakenly assume that the Mayan tribe is extinct and the entire civilization is in the past, but this is not so. Maya to this day live in North America. Their number has decreased and today amounts to about 6 million.
2. The Maya never predicted the end of the world. This people had not 1, but 3 calendars. Each of them was not a harbinger of the apocalypse. The point was that the cycle of the longest Mayan calendar could reset to zero approximately every 2,880,000 days. One of these updates was planned for 2012.
3. The huge Mayan tribe lived in the vast territory of present-day Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize, in the west of Honduras and El Salvador. The development center of such a civilization was in the North.
4. Apart from the Babylonian systems, the Maya were the first to use the number "0". Indian mathematicians later began to use zero as a mathematical value in calculations.
5. Some linguists managed to prove that the word "shark" came to us from the language of the Mayan tribe.
6. The pre-Colombian Maya wanted to "improve" the physical characteristics of their own children. For this, mothers tied the boards to the child's forehead so that over time the forehead became flat.
7. Aristocrats from the Mayan tribes were hunchbacked, and their teeth were inlaid with jade.
8. In the ancient Maya tribes, all children were named according to the day they were born.
9. Some members of the Maya tribe to this day practice bloody sacrifices. Fortunately, chickens are now being sacrificed, not people.
10. All major cities of the Mayan civilization had stadiums. Their type of "football" involved decapitation. In this case, the team of losers was the victim. The severed heads, as historians suggest, were used as balls. The modern version of this game is called "ulama", but decapitation is no longer used.
11. Like the Aztecs, the Maya never used steel or iron in their construction. Their main weapon was obsidian or volcanic rocks.
12. They could create incredible constructions with geometric precision. Smooth corners and walls coupled with perfect computation is something that is difficult to achieve now. But in the Mayan civilization there were many such structures.
13. The main dish of the Maya in the diet was corn, and therefore it is not surprising that, according to Mayan mythology, the creator god Hunab created mankind precisely from the cob of corn.
14. The Maya played football, but their game was to use a rubber ball. It had to be hammered into a round hoop.
15. Baths and saunas played a large role in the Mayan civilization. This tribe believed that with the release of sweat, they got rid of not only dirt, but also from perfect sins.
16. Archaeologists have been able to find evidence that the Mayan tribes used human hair to sew up a wound. Representatives of this civilization treated unsurpassed not only bone fractures, but were also considered skilled dentists.
17. In the Maya tribe, prisoners, slaves, and other people who were to be sacrificed were painted blue and sometimes tortured. After that, they were brought to the top of one of the pyramids, where they were shot from a bow or their still beating heart was cut out from their chest. Sometimes the priests' assistants then removed the skin of the victim, which the high priest put on. Then a ritual dance was performed.
18. The Maya tribes had one of the most advanced writing systems among all the ancient civilizations. They wrote on everything that came to hand, especially on structures.
19. It was also possible to prove that the Maya used means of pain relief. So for various religious rituals, hallucinogenic drugs were used. They used them in everyday life quite widely. Such a hallucinogen was made from a specific mushroom, peyote, bindweed, and also from tobacco.
20. The Mayan pyramids were included in the list of 7 wonders of the world. Until now, many structures are hidden under a thick layer of earth, and their excavation has become difficult due to the impassability of the rainforest. Those constructions that have already been restored impress with their own extraordinary layering.
YouTube is a huge video repository of a wide variety of formats and genres: marketing workshops, product unboxing, comedy shows, and educational songs for kids. For this variety, hosting is loved by almost two billion users around the world. And the business appreciated the advantages of the platform for promotion.
YouTube is undoubtedly the world's largest video sharing service.
Of course, it will be a surprise for everyone if this changes anytime soon!
Most of us use the YouTube website or app on a daily basis. Some use YouTube for learning, and some just for fun.
Fact 1. YouTube was founded on February 14 (Valentine's Day) 2005 by three former PayPal employees.
Fact 2. It was originally funded by bonuses that employees received when eBay bought out PayPal.
Fact 3. The first YouTube video was uploaded on April 23, 2005. This is a video of the co-founder of the San Diego Zoo.
Fact 4. YouTube was originally created as a video testimonial site called "Tune In Hook Up".
Fact 5. Just 18 months after founding YouTube, Google bought it in stock for $ 1.65 billion.
Fact 6. YouTube has over a billion users, which is almost a third of all Internet users.
Fact 7. YouTube has opened a production site in Los Angeles that you can use for free, but only if you have at least 10,000 subscribers on the channel.
Fact 8. The oldest YouTube video about cats dates back to 1894.
Fact 9. More than 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
Fact 10. In 2014, the famous YouTube star, Grumpy Cat, made more money Gwyneth Paltrow - the Oscar-winning actress.
Fact 11. Google is, of course, the largest search engine in the world. But right behind it is Youtube, which is bigger than Bing, Yahoo and Ask combined.
Fact 12. Every April 1, YouTube pranks its users.
Fact 13. When they played their first joke, they turned the site upside down.
Fact 14. Rickrolling first appeared on YouTube in 2009. At its peak in 2008, more than 18 million users in the United States became involved in ricrolling.
Fact 15. Every month YouTube users watch 6 billion hours of video per month and 4 billion videos every day.
Fact 16. Apart from the US, Saudi Arabia has the most views on YouTube. This is because TV, Facebook and Twitter are banned in Saudi Arabia and YouTube is not restricted.
Fact 17. The most popular video that people are looking for is "How to kiss." The second most popular video is "how to tie a tie."
Fact 18. The most popular topic that people are looking for is, of course, music!
Fact 19. The total number of videos uploaded in 2010 is equivalent to over 150,000 full-length films in theaters every week.
Fact 20. The first world leader to create a YouTube channel was British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who opened his account in 2007.
Fact 21. According to a 2013 study, 60% of the 1000 most viewed YouTube videos are banned in Germany.
Fact 22. The longest YouTube video is 571 hours, 1 minute and 41 seconds. This is the same as 23 days and 19 hours!
Fact 23. The first video to reach 1 billion views was Hello by Adele the fastest. It reached 1 billion views in 88 days.
Fact 24: The video that got the most views on its first day of upload is the official teaser # 2 of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It scored 112 million views in 24 hours.
Fact 25. Justin Bieber is one of the first YouTube success stories.
Fact 26. YouTube has been watched every day on Facebook for over 150 years.
Fact 27. In Thailand, YouTube was blocked for 5 months in 2007 due to a 44-second video that depicted distorted images of the king.
Fact 28. There is a copyright infringement program called Automated Content ID that scans over 100 years of video every day.
Fact 29. Every minute there are 400 tweets containing a link to a YouTube video.
Fact 30. In 2011, 30% of all YouTube videos accounted for over 99% of views.
1. It is celebrated on the last Thursday of November by Americans, and Canadians celebrate it on the second Monday in October.
2.Thanksgiving Day is a holiday celebrated in many countries around the world, but especially in the United States and Canada, where the tradition of the holiday is carefully followed by all the inhabitants.
3. In the United States and Canada, Thanksgiving Day is, in fact, Harvest Day, more precisely, a day in which people thank the divinity for the harvests they had that year, regardless of the severe weather conditions they experienced. faced.
4. Since Thanksgiving Day is the holiday taken from the first settlers who arrived in the New World in 1621. They celebrated this day as a thank you for the rich harvest they obtained even in harsh weather conditions. .
5. In 1941, the United States Congress passed a resolution establishing that the fourth Thursday in November should officially become a national holiday of the United States.
6. Thanksgiving has become a family holiday, a day dedicated to spending time with family and friends.
7. There are no lack of traditional dishes on the holiday table, and among the most common are: Turkey; Pumpkin pie; Apple pie; Sweet potatoes; puree; Sweet corn; Cranberry sauce; Cranberry sauce; Ham.
8. What is the tradition of Thanksgiving turkey cooking - why Americans cook turkey Thanksgiving cooking tradition comes from Benjamin Franklin, because he decided to make this bird the symbol of the holiday.
9. The former American president pardoned a turkey that was to be slaughtered with the celebration of this day, and since then, every year, the tradition is respected by every American president.
10. A meal tradition is the prayer that people say at the beginning of the meal. Throughout the prayer, people hold hands and each of the people present states a reason to thank God for this day.
11. Thanksgiving has become an official federal holiday, and Americans participate in various charities on this day. They collect money or prepare food for the poor in the spaces arranged for them.
12. In the United States, there is no work on Thanksgiving. People have a day off just to spend time with their families and enjoy their reunion.
13. Recipes that you can prepare for Thanksgiving Day are: Whole turkey in the oven; Baked turkey stuffed with vegetables; Green beans; Mashed potatoes and mashed potatoes; Pumpkin pie or other pumpkin recipes; Baked sweet potatoes; American apple pie; Cranberry sauce with nuts.
14. According to archaeological evidence found in the Oaxaca region of central Mexico, turkey meat was consumed 1,500 years ago by the Zapotec civilization, and these birds were extremely popular.
15. The Mexican turkey is the ancestor of all turkeys that are consumed around the world.
So, the celebration of Thanksgiving Day gives us all the chance to think about the good things that happen to us every day, but also the chance to thank for everything we receive.
Copyright © 2020 Bemorepanda Limited. All Rights Reserved.
The content available on the Bemorepanda.com website can be copied and republished in the limit of 200 characters and in the limit of 10 pictures and must include the URL of the article. It is forbidden to completely copy the material and place it anywhere else without indicating the link and the full name of the page.
Reddit is set to become a public company in 2022, valued at $15 billion. Here are top 50 interesting facts that made them so succesfull
Reddit. Anyone who follows the news closely will certainly come across numerous references to Reddit - a real giant that is rapidly gaining popularity from year to year. But, unlike Facebook, the immigration of population did not happen there. For most users, the social news site remains a mystery - a kind of overseas wonder of the world that the mind cannot understand. And there are several reasons for this.
Reddit is a social news site that was once created to make it easy to find and share links to news, articles, and just interesting content. But over time, the portal grew, destroying the popular Digg, and now it is, in fact, a platform for conversations, that is, a forum, an image board, and so on. Links and their discussions remain an important part of the platform, but only a part. Increasingly, people come here to communicate, having escaped from sinking forums and dead sites.
Due to the huge popularity of the portal, many users use it to draw attention to a particular issue, or, more often, a site. Many sites have experienced the so-called “Slashdot effect”, when one link to Reddit (sometimes even just in the comments) leads to an overload of the site’s servers due to the influx of visitors.
Reddit may once have seemed like a strange alternative to popular social networks where anonymity continues to be valued and where people are addressed by nicknames rather than names, but now it has become the standard platform for both just chatting and connecting with fans. AMAs (Ask Me Anything) are constantly held here, when a star (yes, anyone in general) answers questions in the comments for an hour. This only emphasizes the influence of the site and its role in the modern world.
Reddit is the fastest growing site on the internet. This is a website where anyone can hyperlink to interesting content from all over the internet. If you've never visited Reddit, chances are you won't like it for the first time. The design is inspired by the early days of the web with small fonts that can easily distract a new user. But looks are deceiving. This is evidenced by the extensive statistics of Reddit. Bemorepanda collected some interesting facts.
1. It hosts 6 million daily users and internet marketers, promoters, spammers, creators are fighting to get this total user share pie for free. But no one succeeds because of their community-driven and heavily moderated structure. Only really popular content is promoted on Reddit.
2. The secret behind Reddit's popularity is the anonymity of users and the insignificance of user accounts. You click on any user profile and you will be redirected to a page that shows their submissions, comments, etc. along with a link and comment karma. No, selfies with fake facial expressions, without focusing on yourself and copying text about yourself. This is the real power of Reddit. It is focused on content, not users.
3. Digg was the successor to Reddit and was a pioneer of news voting sites. Both websites were on par in 2010, but Reddit's nuclear growth since 2010 has propelled it into the top 50 websites on Earth, in just 5 years.
4. In addition, its anonymity allows the user to speak their mind and go beyond creating or presenting content without thinking about what others will think. Check out a screenshot of the most popular post in Reddit history.
Registration on the site is instant. No personal information is required, just like a phone number. In this sense, the site continues to follow the precepts of the old Internet, and this is very good.
At the moment, Reddit is going through perhaps the most difficult period in its history - the transition to a new design. We all know how painful this process is for sites with an attached audience. Reddit is no exception - it's been in the process of being updated for a long time now, and as is often the case, the redesign didn't get users excited. The new version, currently in beta and optional, strips the portal of its archaic charm and adds more modern elements. Beginners will most likely want to use the newer version, which is much more logical. Everyone else rightly points out a lot of new problems. For example, the redesign significantly reduces the ability to customize subreddits, making them more unified.
The entire site is divided into subreddits - interest groups or just communities united by an idea. Initially, there was supposed to be one main "reddit", but the idea did not catch on, although the site still has default reddits, to which all newcomers are subscribed. The /r/popular subreddit includes the most important entries of all groups, excluding some controversial subreddits, such as those dedicated to Donald Trump. /r/all is the sitewide popularity feed without any filter. The user is free to choose what interests him - in this sense, you can draw an analogy with YouTube and its channels. Or with LJ and band news feed. In general, everything is very simple, albeit unusual.
Any site like Reddit at first seems like a dump of content that is impossible to sort through. In fact, it is possible, but Reddit itself will hardly help you with this. Finding content here is not very easy - as well as the subreddits that interest you. Among experienced users, it has long been customary to joke about how bad site search is, and the anecdote is not without truth. Therefore, even if the search is possible, I most often use search engines for this task - or rather, Google, which indexes the site very quickly. All other search engines, including the growing DuckDuckGo, are experiencing some difficulty in finding fresh entries.
5. Anyone who visits Reddit regularly can easily answer it. Nearly 40% of Reddit's top stories are images from the image-sharing site img loading="lazy"ur.com. Imgur gets almost 30% of its website visitors through Reddit.
6. In fact, Reddit does not allow users to upload images to their server. Imgur founder Alan Schaaf saw this as a great opportunity and created img loading="lazy"ur. When he launched Imgur, he posted an ad on Reddit for his new product.
7. The total amount of funds spent by the founders of Reddit on its advertising since its inception is only 500 US dollars, and this is also for stickers.
8. Reddit's founders received $12,000 in initial funding to launch the idea, of which they only spent $500 on their website's promotional activities as well as stickers.
9. In a post written by Alexis Ohanion about Fast Company, he stated that it was the most sound investment he had ever made.
10. The Reddit Snoo mascot was there before the site even went live.
Many Reddit users have been silently consuming content for years, with no desire to add anything of their own. However, most often you will want to insert your word. To do this, in each subreddit there is an opportunity to add your entry, share a link or photo.
Unlike forums, on Reddit, the relevance of a post is determined by its rating. This is, in fact, a system of likes, but, like in YouTube, entries can be both “plus” and “minus”. This is called upvoting and downvoting. If your entry gets a good upvote ratio, the system considers it worthy of attention. So from the “new” section, the record crawls into “hot” and “best”. If you posted something really interesting or original, then, depending on the number of subreddit subscribers, it can even crawl out to the main page of the site - and there you are already guaranteed endless "karma" and the attention of millions of visitors.
It is impossible to find a formula that would guarantee a 100% “hit”. For a recording to work, a perfect set of circumstances is required: the relevance of the recording, the right time, the urgency, and so on. Of course, there are various tricks that can only be learned over time. Even really great content can get lost in the garbage stream. It often happens that your picture passes the attention of the masses, but when someone posts it again in a couple of days, it will immediately fly up to the main site. Try to figure it out.
"Karma" (that is, the counter of upvotes, or likes) is calculated in the user's profile. There is no sense in it, but attention to your own record is always nice. The owners of great karma consider themselves, if not the elite, then very respected people. It is reminiscent of Google Questions and Answers (if you remember such a service), where the most erudite experts liked to brag about their achievements.
11. In an interview with the website, Alexis Ohanion revealed that he started working on the logo even before it was clear how the site would work. He would sketch in his marketing class or whenever he had free time.
12. In the early days, the founders of Reddit made a lot of fake accounts to make the site look active.
13. In a video for an online educational website, Steve Huffman explained that in the early days of Reddit, he and Alexis created hundreds of fake accounts to make the site more active because no one else was submitting any content to the site at the time. and there was a lot of empty space that didn't look very pretty.
14. Reddit launched the commenting system six months after it first launched.
15. It's good that in just six months, Steve and Alexis realized that without comments, this community could not survive.
16. A graduate student analyzed the top 850,000 Reddit posts to find how to create successful posts.
17. Randy Olson, a computer science graduate student at Michigan State University, posted a blog post on how to create a successful Reddit post. His advice was backed up by his analysis of 850,000 top Reddit posts out of the 4,200 most active subreddits.
The popularity of the site and the activity of its audience attract the attention of companies that are trying to advertise themselves in a less obvious way. Reddit is a great place to draw attention to your site or even your product, but obvious self-promotion will be easily figured out by moderators (read Reddit and business below). But if you're an artist who wants to raise their profile, a writer who's written something interesting, or a startup with an interesting idea, then Reddit can be the perfect tool for your own promotion. The main thing is to choose the right subreddit. Do not forget to read the rules - each subreddit has its own rules, and non-compliance with them leads to the removal of the post or even the ban of the user.
If your comment receives a large number of dislikes, it will be hidden from other users, although it can still be seen if desired. Often the "reputation" that looms from this ranking affects how often you can post. Subreddits can put a limit on the number of posts per minute, and this can seriously limit your ability to take an active part in the life of the subreddit.
Upvotes and downvotes, despite some controversy in their implementation, are very important for maintaining order. If social networks like Twitter or VKontakte almost always rage with chaos, with obscenities, swearing and spam, then “karma” on Reddit allows you to hide bad comments and raise quality ones. Thanks to this system, the discussions on the site look like a smart dialogue, and not like a kindergarten, which is most often seen on other popular Internet sites.
18. His post includes tips like when is the best time to post, what to write, what heading to use and many other great tips, you should check out his post.
19. The first post on Reddit appeared 13 years ago and was called The Downing Street Memo. You can still find it at the following link. At first, most of the content on the site was written by the creators of the resource themselves - they created a lot of fake accounts from which they filled the site with interesting links and news, thereby creating the appearance of an active resource.
20. Comments first appeared on the site in December 2005, and sections (subreddits) only in March 2008.
21. At the same time, the latter were met with hostility - the users of the site did not understand what the need for such “segregation” was, because the population of the resource at that time was very modest, and the need to scroll through all the subreddits in search of new news then seemed strange.
22. From the moment of his birth until about 2010. Reddit actively competed with Digg, which is extremely similar in design and purpose. Reddit was born just a few months later, but Digg was much more popular at the time.
23. Everything changed dramatically in August 2010, when the creators of Digg ruined their project with a bad design update. Users of the resource were furious and for a whole month the main page was filled with messages with complaints, requests to return the old version of the site, as well as links to Reddit - annoyed people urged everyone to change the platform, leaving for competitors.
24. Over the next year, the popularity of Reddit skyrocketed, while Digg fell. At the same time, at first, as many as 20% of Reddit's monthly traffic was from Digg.
25. Theoretically, any Reddit user should strive for the same thing - to have their post appear on the front page. But is it possible to achieve this result by following some magical "formula for success"? As it turned out - it is possible.
26. In this universal formula, there will be several factors that you will need to consider: this is the time and day of the week when you will publish the post; brightness or scandalous content; correct title wording. There is also the possibility of buying votes - there are corresponding resources that sell them for real currency.
27. But any Redditor will tell you that the most effective (albeit cynical) way to earn votes that will eventually lead you to the main page of the resource is to steal someone else's content. The usual repost of someone else's post, which has already appeared on this resource before, will lead you to success much faster than any original content.
28. In 2013, a study was made, the results of which showed shocking statistics: over a 17-day period, more than 52% of the materials that reached the main page had already appeared on the forum before. Moreover, in the same 17-day period of time indicated in the study, and not several years before.
29. If you use the Google Ngram Viewer resource, you can see how often a particular word was used in world literature centuries before you were born. Thanks to him, we can note with surprise for ourselves that the word Reddit already existed, and its use has been declining since the 1700s.
30. This strange fact is connected with the existence of the Latin word REDDO, which means "give back", "return" or "restore". At the same time, in the REDDIT form, this word means “it returned”, and REDDITOR means “the one who returns”. Thus, all users of the Reddit resource who call themselves "redditors" literally turn into reposters and people who steal other people's content.
31. Thanks to the collective power of this resource, Reddit has saved its users more than once.
32. One of the most striking cases can be called an incident that occurred 3 years ago, when a user under the nickname RBradbury1920 reported mysterious yellow reminder stickers that appeared in his apartment. He was sure that he did not stick them on, and suspected that this was some kind of bad joke on the part of the owner of this apartment (he rented it).
33. However, these pieces of paper contained information that was known only to RBradbury1920, which further confused this strange mystical case. A Reddit user decided to turn to his favorite forum for advice - should you call the police or just call the landlord for a serious conversation?
34. He advised the topic starter to buy an inexpensive CO tester that could confirm this hypothesis. And indeed, that was the problem. The tester showed an off-scale concentration of this gas, which in such cases can lead to various problems with the brain, as well as memory loss.
35. Subsequently, RBradbury1920 unsubscribed that throughout the whole year he visited various medical specialists in order to regain his lost health. And only after a long course of treatment, his body returned to normal.
36. In August 2015, Roskomnadzor added Reddit to the register of banned sites. The reason for the blocking was a request to remove one of the pages of the resource from the Gosnarkokontrol. It contained instructions for growing mushrooms containing narcotic substances. After a call from the administration of the resource to the department, a day later, the resource was unblocked.
37. Reddit has restricted access on the territory of the Russian Federation to prohibited information.
38. The post, which drew the attention of the State Drug Control Service, was posted by one of the Russian-speaking users with the nickname rsocfan intentionally and specifically “for the RKN”. It was a provocation to block a popular resource.
39. However, another user with the nickname Kakkerlak offered an alternative explanation for what happened - he clung to a small detail in the description of the RBradbury1920 apartment. He talked about an unusual tiny bedroom, devoid of any windows. Kakkerlak suggested that it could be due to severe carbon monoxide (carbon monoxide) poisoning that RBradbury1920 was exposed to due to poor ventilation in his bed.
40. And finally, a fresh interesting event. Reddit users (by the way, 53% of whom are from the United States) made popular the YouTube channel of Russian cosmonaut Oleg Artemiev, which almost no one watched. The video of the astronaut got on Reddit and after 5 days scored 84k pluses. “This is a Russian cosmonaut named Oleg who posts videos from the International Space Station on his channel. His new video from space, posted five hours ago, has only 17 views. It captures the flight through the entire station,” wrote the user.
41. Reddit ads are often forgotten in the paid social world, in part because other systems seem to have more impressive targeting capabilities or are talked about more. For some advertisers, this can bring bad luck.
42. Reddit gets over 21 billion screen views per month and the platform is used by 6% of adults online. Over 70% speak English, and a significant proportion are from the US.
43. Although Reddit has an extremely diverse audience, a sizable segment of users have high sales revenue of $75,000 or more per year.
44. There are two types of ads on Reddit that marketers can use to their advantage.
45. The second type of ad will appear in feeds. They will look like posts, except for the blue "Promoted" tag at the top. When users click on these ads, they are taken directly to the landing page of your choice, not to the talk page.
46. Reddit is demographic and geo-targeted, like all your standard paid social platforms you know and love, where you can target by age, gender, location, and interests.
49. There are over 2.2 million different subreddits, ranging from broad ones (like "finance") to much more niche ones ("vegan beauty").
50. Some ad platforms have high minimum ad spends, resulting in a high entry threshold for companies that want to try out new platforms or that have a low budget.