50 funny NBA All-Star quotes in 2022 that are too hilarious to ignore
This year, the NBA celebrates its 76th anniversary - on November 1, 1946, the first match was played in the Basketball Association of America, in a league that the NBA considers to be its direct and only ancestor.
Over these 75 years, the NBA has gone from a nearly bankrupt, minor tournament in a not the most important sport to a league that is in the top 5 on the planet in terms of revenue, TV ratings, followers on social networks, and the total number of fans.
As delightful as basketball itself is, the NBA owes this leap in popularity to superstars. Which she skillfully promotes both during and at the end of her career - Michael Jordan remains one of the most recognizable athletes today, although he has not played for 18 years, and for the Chicago Bulls since 1998.
The joy of Allen and Dudley, Wall's problems with geography, the surprise of Iguodala, Rodman's statement are among the five most curious quotes of the day in the NBA.
“I want to thank the gentlemen for everything that he did and continues to do. I'm staying with the Grizzlies! "
- Tony Allen, Memphis defender.
For one of the best "personals" of the association, according to overseas publications, at least seven clubs of the strongest league in the world were hunting. However, they were not destined to even smell the prey. So, Tony Allen agreed to a four-year contract with Memphis in the amount of $ 20 million. Have you made a bargain? Unlikely. After all, excellent recoil in your own half of the court does not negate passivity in attack. In addition, this agreement will allow the collective to sign one or two performers thanks to various kinds of exceptions - and still not pay the luxury tax.
“I won't lie - I'm excited about the opportunity to play closer to home. If I was allowed to choose any team in the NBA in which I would like to pursue a career, it would be the Clippers. It's time to get down to business! "
- Jared Dudley, Clippers quarterback.
July has begun extremely merrily, gentlemen! So the Clippers and Phoenix, with the symbolic help of Milwaukee, made an interesting deal. According to it, Dudley and Reddick went to Los Angeles, Bledsoe and Caron Butler went to Arizona. Finally, the Bucks secured two picks in the second round of the draft. Whatever one may say, the team from the City of Angels turned out to be a clear winner.
The arrival of two top-notch snipers will diversify the squad's attack and take some of the burden off Paul and Crawford. As for the Suns, firstly, together with the trade, they took about six million extra million in payment. Secondly, we have replenished with one of the most overrated players of our time.
At least Butler looks like a bargain, but who knows how much more injury-prone performer over the course of his career will be able to perform at a high level. As for Milwaukee, the squad out of the blue (the team was not going to sign a new contract with Redik anyway) got two draft picks. In the second round, of course, but it's better than nothing.
"Wow! Are they serious? Well, there will be additional motivation ",
- Andre Iguodala, defender / forward.
This is how Iguodala reacted to the Sacramento proposal. So, the Kings are ready to put as much as 52 million greens on the table for a four-year contract with Andre. The amount that surprised the player himself. Well, the Kings continue to collect defenders (although in California Iguodala would probably play as a light forward). At the same time, Andre would become the only basketball player of the team working out in his half of the court. The only question is, will the former Philadelphia player agree to go to an organization with a not very good reputation (the “Bermuda triangle” of basketball talents) even for that kind of money?
"I've never been outside the States"
- John Wall, Washington Defender.
Oh, those overseas athletes. Like grown children. In the ability to handle the ball to the representatives of the NBA, of course, you will not refuse. But basketball skill does not eliminate the gaps in education. And if it would be nice for Shabazz Muhammad to pull up mathematics, then John Wall is just right to get acquainted with the basics of geography. So, the other day the playmaker said that he had never been outside the United States in his life. But in which country does he think Toronto is located? The defender has already played with the Raptors there six times! Sure, John didn’t look his best in those games (only converting 39% of shots for the field), resulting in Washington losing five out of six games, but is that a good reason to ignore Canada as a country? However, another option is also possible. Maybe Wall is just a pathological liar.
“The fact is, he never launched the bombs. Not to South Korea, not to the Hawaiian Islands ... anywhere, in general. People say he's the worst guy in the world. But Kim told me he didn't want to fight America. Moreover, he just wants to talk to Barack Obama about basketball. Unfortunately, Obama wants nothing to do with him. But I ask, Mr. President, what's wrong with a regular phone call? It's a new age, man. Come on, Obama, reach out to Kim and become his friend.
My task is to break the ice between the warring countries. Why exactly I should smooth out sharp corners, I do not understand. It's not my job to guard us. This is Obama's job. But I’ll tell you this: if I don’t finish in the top three candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize, something is really going wrong, ”
- Dennis Rodman, former NBA player.
The truth-teller of all America again came to the fore. That is how he is, Mr. Rodman. She feeds on human attention, like the wife of an oligarch - on fur coats. Another loud statement by Worm: he is worthy of the Nobel Prize. On the one hand, it's funny, given the shocking appearance and dubious past. On the other hand, why not? At least in terms of dialogue with North Korea, Rodman certainly did more than thousands of ministers in suits. So maybe it would be worth rewarding Dennis for his work?
6. What is love? Love is to play every game as if it were the last. ”-Michael Jordan.
7. “He said that both Dean and I strive to achieve the same thing in different ways. Coach Smith is the master of the quadrangle attack, and Coach Knight is the master of the four-letter word. "- Michael Jordan
8. “I Can Accept Failure, But I Never Take Action” - Michael Jordan
9. “I never thought about the consequences of a decisive shot. When you think about the consequences, you think about the negative outcome. "- Michael Jordan
10. “I have always believed that if you work hard, you will certainly have a result. I don't do anything without enthusiasm. Because I know it will have negative consequences. "- Michael Jordan
11. “I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I have missed almost 300 games. When I took the decisive shot, I didn't always hit. I have failed many times in my life. This is why I succeed. "- Michael Jordan
12. “When you go to your goal, there is an obstacle in your way. I came across them, everyone came across. But obstacles shouldn't stop you. When faced with a wall, do not turn back, do not retreat. Find a way to overcome this barrier, work on it. "- Michael Jordan
13. “Just a game. Enjoy the game. " - Michael Jordan
14. “The game is my wife. It requires loyalty and responsibility. She gives me a sense of calm and peace. "- Michael Jordan
15. “To be successful, you have to be selfish. Otherwise, you will not achieve anything. Once you get to the top of your goal, become selfless. Stay in touch with others, do not put yourself above others. "- Michael Jordan
16. “Everyone dreams of being the next Michael Jordan. I have to prove that I am still myself Michael Jordan "- Michael Jordan
17. “I am leaving this game in good hands. There are so many new stars now. I pass on to them what I received from Dr. Jay, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird. I am passing this on to these stars and to all the other NBA players now. I want to thank you for your support. Now I can go home with a light heart. "- Michael Jordan
18. “We can't stop him. Nobody can't stop him "- Paul Westphal about Jordan
19. “I hope the guys who started with me at the Military Academy in 65 watched the game today and told their grandchildren: I was there when that son of a bitch won for the first time” - Bobby Knight
Arnold "Red" Auerbach once said, "The Boston Celtics are not just a basketball team, they are a way of life."
20. Wilt Chamberlain: “I felt like I had the talent to do great things on the basketball court. I couldn't do everything I wanted, because if it weren't for the circumstances, I would have won every game. "
21. Bill Russell: “Wilt was my greatest opponent. I will not even name a player who was at least approximately equal in level of talent. "
22. Wilt Chamberlain: “Basketball is a team game. I was lucky to play during a fantastic basketball time. There was a different type of game, we played more technically. I was a different kind of athlete for that time. "
23. Jerry West, former Lakers quarterback and Basketball Hall of Famer: “The irony about Wilt was that he never seemed relaxed or cheerful. After he retired from basketball, it seems like he really relaxed. Most of all this has to do with the fact that he was Wilt Chamberlain, and no one will take this property away from him. I think these things worried him all his life. It's hard to be a giant. "
24. “We were just the best team in basketball history,” Chamberlain said.
25. “It was a great game until Dwyane Wade decided to decide everything in his favor. And it was all decided "- Spurs head coach Greg Popovich on Dwayne Wade, who scored 18 of 26 points in the fourth quarter, while Miami beat San Antonio 100-85.
“Most guys in this League play through pain. They must play "
26. “Last year, he was so 'hungry' for a ball in a triangle that it came down to a line rather than a geometric shape. Kobe is against everyone. Now he accepts his partners, his role in the system, ”said one scout of the Eastern Conference team.
27. “You hit - you win, you miss - you lose. We got it "- Suns head coach Mike D'Anthony
28. “Have you seen And1 Tour on TV? It ruins the game for a generation of children, convincing them that it is basketball. This is not basketball. This is pure entertainment. This is not bad for its specific purpose. But that won't help the US team reclaim their spot at the top of the basketball world. It won't help develop the game. ”- Basketball Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy.
29. “I never go out on the court unsure that I am the best among all the players. Except for one case. 2 games of the 1993 NBA Finals in Phoenix. We lost 1 game, then I was determined to do everything, literally everything, in order to bring the team into the 2 game with a victory. I got 42 points and Michael just didn't let me win. I looked at him and thought, “Damn it, he's better than me. He's better than anyone on the court ”/ Take my word for it: No one has ever played better than Michael.” - Charles Barkley.
30. “It's good to win away. It becomes quiet in the stands - like in a church "- Chauncey Billups
31. "The Limit Can Only Be Clouds" - Stephen Jackson.
32. "Some fear the last Shot - Others live for It".
33. “O'Neill is so big that it's hard to beat him in the first step. Wherever you go, he's already there. ”- Chris Kaman.
34. “That play was:“ Give the ball to Michael and everyone else get the @ ## @ #% out of the way ”-Chicago Bulls head coach Doug Collins, on“ The Shot ”
35. “I've reached the pinnacle of my career. I just feel that I don’t have anything else to prove ”
-Michael Jordan, announcing on October 6, 1993 his retirement from the Chicago Bulls
36. "I'm back" - Michael Jordan, announcing on March 18, 1995 his return to the Chicago Bulls
37. If you don't know the fundamentals of basketball, then you can't play. You think you can. A street player always thinks he can play until he gets in there with me or someone else ”- Michael Jordan
38. “I think with my experience and ability to be a leader on and off the court, I can help Phoenix. The team already has an excellent line-up. But Phoenix sometimes has problems in matches with some opponents. I think that with my appearance, we will look good in the game with any opponent. ”- Shaquille.
39. “I've heard a lot of talk about my health and age. So, you will be surprised. The team needs someone who can ignite. I will rock, pick up rebounds so that Nash and the others do what they can. ”- Shaquille.
40. “Nothing hurts me anymore. If you want to take an exam, you will see that for my age I have a wonderful body. I had some problems with my hip, but the doctors assured me that everything would be fine. ”- Shaquille O'Neal
41. “I'm not in the mood right now. In such cases, the new championship helps me the best ”- Shaquille O'Neal
42. “I know that LeBron hates me when I beat him,” chuckled Carmelo Anthony, who won a face-to-face duel against LeBron James.
43. "We're the best! Do not doubt! I know that for sure! If anything, look at me and believe - everything will work out! " - Kobe Bright
44. “The first reason is Kobe. First, I asked to patronize him one-on-one, then I tied two to him. Needless to say, three could not contain Bryant. "Zone", personal protection ... He bypassed everything. Nothing worked. Kobe just settled on the free throw line. He is a great player, and great players have matches like this. There are many matches like that. ”- Avery Johnson
45. “He's not a basketball player. Like me, he is a basketball player. ”- Bill Russell on Kevin Garnett.
46. “If you look, there are about 400 players in the NBA. Only four hundred! Four hundred from all over the world! " - Andrey Kirilenko
47. "Love mo or hate me" - Kobe
48. "That's my fault. When we hit free throws, it's my fault. Lost both games - too. Blame me. It is my fault that we fouled at a crucial moment of the game. It's my fault that a couple of people in the lower ranks ordered a Heiniken and they got a Budweiser. Sorry. And I'm serious. These are all my mistakes. Sans "merged" two games - McGrady is to blame. This is how I feel. Accusations from all sides. "- Tracy McGrady
49. “I picture Michael Jordan sitting on the couch watching our episode with envy. He was never allowed what LeBron James is now getting. He had to make his way to the ring through blows and jolts. That is why he is considered the best basketball player in the history of the game. "- Sam Cassel
50. "Offence wins Games, Defense wins Titles".-Magic Johnson
The 2022 NHL Winter Classic between the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild took place on January 1, 2022 at the Minnesota Twins' Target Field, Major League Baseball team, in Minneapolis. The match, originally scheduled for the first day of 2021, will continue the tradition of outdoor play begun in 2008. 2022 will mark the 14th anniversary of the first "Winter Classic" in Buffalo.
The 2022 Honda All-Star NHL Weekend will take place in Las Vegas at the T-Mobile Arena on February 4-5. Skill contests will take place on Friday, February 4, and the next day will be the "All-Star Game".
On February 26, as part of the 2022 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series, the Nashville Predators will play Tampa at the Nissan Stadium in Nashville, home of the NFL Tennessee Titans. This will be the second open-air match for the Predators and the first for the Lightning, who will be the 27th team to play outdoors.
Each team in the 2021-22 season will play 82 matches, and there will be a total of 1,312 matches. The last day of the regular season will be Friday, April 29, when 30 out of 32 teams will take to the ice.
1. Olympic Break: To date, no final decision has been made on the participation of NHL hockey players in the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics. Negotiations are ongoing. If the players' union and the International Ice Hockey Federation agree to resolve all issues, including insurance for hockey players on COVID-19, as agreed in the collective agreement, then the calendar will provide a pause between February 7 and 22.
2. If conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic deteriorate or the health and safety of players is threatened, the NHL and the players' union will refuse to participate in the Games. If NHL players compete in the 2022 Olympics, the regular season will resume on February 23rd. If, for any reason, hockey players do not play at the Olympics, the NHL will publish a revised regular season schedule.
3. The National Hockey League is considered the most prestigious, popular and professional league in the world of ice hockey. The most loyal fans, the most spectacular matches and the most prestigious awards are directly related to the NHL.
4. The history of the league is very long, because during its existence there have been many truly significant events, let alone the number of really talented athletes who have made their careers in the NHL. We have already talked about the strongest players in the NHL, talked about the best clubs and even recalled the history of the main hockey attributes, but now we want to talk about a few interesting facts that will help you learn hockey even better.
5. The history of the league dates back to the late 19th century, when in 1892 the Governor General of Canada, Lord Frederick Arthur Stanley, established the country's main hockey trophy - the Challenge Hockey Cup.
6. The devoted fans of Canada fought for the cup. Any team could challenge the current trophy holder, and he had to accept it. After the death of the Governor-General, the prize was named in his honor - the Stanley Cup.
7. Now the Stanley Cup is considered the most prestigious of those that a professional hockey player can win in his career, which is why many athletes tag in the NHL in order to try their luck in the championships. It is worth noting that we talked about the history of hockey in more detail in one of our previous articles.
8. As for the first official goal, which marked the beginning of professional hockey, it was scored by Dave Ritchie, who was a player of the Montreal Wanderers. The puck flew into the net on December 19, 1917, and it was the first official match in NHL history, followed by a huge number of sports fans. Then on the ice against "Montreal" came "Toronto Arenas", which conceded the same goal.
9. Many will wonder why the Stanley Cup was established almost at the very beginning of the 20th century, and the first puck was hammered only 20 years later? The fact is that the NHL was just beginning to develop, many teams did not immediately reach the professional level, and the championships were not held as cool as we see in this picture now. It is difficult to say at what point it is worth starting a report on the existence of the National League, but here everyone decides for himself.
10. Selling and buying players is quite a fun process. Of course, now popular players cost a lot of money, and many clubs go broke just to take possession of the legend of big sports. But in the history of the NHL there was a case when a player was bought for only one dollar.
11. We are talking about one Canadian ice hockey player, Chris Draper, who was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1993 under the general number 62. The athlete had practically no playing practice and had zero experience in the NHL, which is why he was sold to the famous Detroit for just one American dollar.
12. Moving to a new team, Chris was not left without an inverse nickname - "man for one dollar." But the nickname did not humiliate the athlete at all, and even brought its own benefit. Perhaps it's all about motivation and the desire to prove to the majority of his worth, but Draper was able to quickly advance to the main team, and then take the post of the leader of Krasnye Krylia. He became one of the club's top players at the time, significantly increasing his value in professional sports. It is worth noting that Draper played 1137 games for Detroit, scored 128 goals in them and helped the team win four Stanley Cups.
13. We have already talked about the origin of this trophy, but the award deserves special attention for several more reasons. Interestingly, the original height of the Stanley Cup was 18 centimeters, now it is much larger. It is also worth noting that there is a certain tradition according to which each member of the team that won the Stanley Cup has the right to personally own the cup for one day in the summer off-season after the victory. This happened for the first time in 1997, after the victory of the Detroit Red Wings, where the Russian Five played.
14. Often the practice of giving away the cup for a day to the players led to curiosities. In 1996, Colorado defender Sylvain Lefebvre christened his little daughter Alexanna in a cup. Now Aleksanna Lefebvre plays for the university's hockey team. In 2008, the Stanley Cup was again used as a cup for infant baptism: Thomas Holmstrom baptized his nephew in it. In general, they didn’t fill the cup with anything during the celebrations. Ice cream, melted chocolate, soup, chili sauce, applesauce, and even dog food.
15. Goalkeeper Martin Brodeur, after winning the New Jersey Devils in 2003, went to the cinema with the kids and took a goblet with him to fill it with popcorn. Here is such an interesting trophy.
16. The best hockey player in the history of the National Hockey League! Wayne became the leader in almost all offense-related indicators: points (2857), goals (894), assists (1963), points in equal squads (1818), majority (890), minority (149) and goals in an empty net (57).
17. Wayne also became the only NHL player to score more than 200 points per season in 1982 (212 points), 1984 (205), 1985 and 1986 (208 and 215 points, respectively). It's hard to find a hockey fan who hasn't heard of this athlete. This hockey player is truly unique and is a legend in the National Hockey League.
18. Despite the unique records, the athlete did not differ in versatility, often lost in speed indicators to his rivals and did not always demonstrate decent defense. But he could always competently choose his position on the court, defeating the opponent with perfect technique and a strong throw. Interestingly, many note the fact that even if Wayne had not scored a single goal, he would still have been the leader in terms of the number of points scored in his career. Here is such an interesting character, famous all over the world.
19. The first goalkeeper to score an unusual goal against an opponent was New York Islanders goalkeeper Billy Smith.
20. Philadelphia Flyers goalkeeper Ron Hextall became the second goalkeeper to score, and the first to score. Most of the goals against rivals are on the personal account of Martin Brodeur. He was able to score as many as three goals. In general, a rather unusual situation when the puck flies into the goal from the goalkeeper of another team, but often this is due to the unpredictability of hockey.
21. There are times when the goalkeeper repels a strong attack from the opponent, and then the incomprehensible force of the rebound comes into play, and it happens that the goalkeeper himself wants to take the initiative into his own hands, like the above-described hockey players.
22. This interesting fact can be noted in as many as two matches in the history of the National Hockey League. The first happened in the third season of the NHL, when the Montreal players were able to beat their age-old opponents from Toronto with a score of 14-7. The second-highest scoring match in league history came in 1985 when the aforementioned Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton fired on Chicago.
23. In this meeting, "Edmonton" was able to win with a score of 12-9, while the legendary Gretzky, without scoring a single goal, gave his teammates seven assists. It is worth noting that in each season of the NHL you can see many interesting, spectacular and memorable matches that make the history of the league unique.
24. Theoren Fleury is a truly great ice hockey player from Canada, born in 1968. His height was only 168 cm, but this did not stop him from achieving unprecedented heights in sports. The hockey player scored 1,088 points in the NHL, won the Stanley Cup, became a gold medalist at the Olympic Games, a silver medalist in the World Championship and received the honorary title of "Player of the Year" in the NHL.
25. And the tallest player in the history of the NHL was born in Slovakia. In his 44 years, Zdeno has also broken a large number of prejudices. With a height of 206 cm, the defender continues to play for the Washington Capitals to this day. The good news is that such a truly unique player does not lose heart and does not even think about the end of his career. On account of his 1608 games in the NHL, for which he was able to score 207 goals.
26. Zdeno Hara, which we wrote about above, also set another record worthy of attention. The hockey player has one of the most powerful shots in NHL history. Zdeno Hara was able to throw the puck at 105.4 mph (169.6 km / h) in 2009. By the way, Hara liked to break records - and he did it a couple more times, reaching 107 mph (172.2 km / h) in 2012. But here it is worth noting another athlete who achieved higher numbers.
27. The incredible Bobby Hull was able to break absolutely all the records of big sport, accelerating the hockey puck to 193 km / h with his powerful click. Experts also say that the athlete could make a throw with a maximum puck speed of 169 km / h using a wrist technique.
28. Bobby Hull was one of the best strikers in the NHL in the 1960s. The player was awarded the title of best sniper of the regular season between 1959 and 1969 as many as seven times, making him the second strongest hockey player in this indicator. Bobby Hull was able to score 54 goals in 1965/66, making him the only player to score over 50 goals in the NHL regular season. Throughout his career, the athlete took part in 1,063 matches of the regular season and in 119 playoffs. But now the legend of world hockey is already 82 years old, and it is simply impossible to check or refute his records.
29. Thus, the National Hockey League contains in its history many unique moments that will be of interest to every fan of big sport. It is these facts and records that are the basis of interesting hockey, a professional sport that has a huge number of fans. Important events are remembered by many, making hockey even more popular and even more spectacular, which is why this sport quickly gained worldwide popularity and annually indulges us with legendary events.
30. On November 26, 1917, representatives of four Canadian clubs (Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Quebec Bulldogs) decided to create the National Hockey League. A little later, Toronto Arenas joined the organizers.
31. The first NHL matches took place on December 19, 1917. There are currently 30 teams in the world's strongest professional hockey league.
32. In 1943, the Hockey Hall of Fame was opened in Toronto, where the names of the best hockey players on the planet were entered. Currently, more than 300 world hockey legends have been awarded this honor, including 6 of our compatriots: Anatoly Tarasov, Vladislav Tretyak, Vyacheslav Fetisov, Valery Kharlamov, Igor Larionov and Pavel Bure.
33. On February 14, 1934, the Toronto Maple Leafs permanently assigned the number 6 jersey to team star Ace Bailey. Later, the tradition of removing the numbers of great hockey players from circulation gained wide popularity in the NHL. Pavel Bure was the only Russian to be awarded such an honor. In 2013, the Vancouver Canucks secured form with number 10.
34. In 1959, the Montreal Canadiens goalkeeper Jacques Plant began wearing a mask. Not everyone liked this novelty, and many even called Plant a coward. But after a few years, the mask became a common attribute of the goalkeeper's uniform.
35. According to statistics, 68% of professional hockey players lost at least one tooth during a match.
36. The legendary Gordie Howe was distinguished not only by high performance, but also by an aggressive game. Therefore, if one hockey player manages to throw the puck in a match, make an assist and take part in a fight, then such a result is called "Gordie Howe's hat-trick."
37. Since 1993, every hockey player who has won the Stanley Cup, the NHL's premier trophy, can take it home for a day. But there is one secret: the athletes are given a copy of the prize, and the original is kept in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
38. April 16, 1999 ended the sports career of the most famous hockey player in the history of the NHL - Wayne Gretzky. In NHL games, Gretzky has scored 894 goals and made 1,963 assists. Its result has not been surpassed so far.
39. Bobby Hull had the most powerful shot among the pros. After his impact, the puck flew at a speed of 190.4 kilometers per hour.
40. In the entire long history of the NHL, the Stanley Cup has not been played twice. In 1919, the tournament was stopped due to the flu epidemic, and in 2005 the championship was canceled due to a hockey strike.
41. In the first month of the 2017-18 season, 212 matches were played. On average, the teams scored 6.1 goals in them (excluding 18 goals in shootouts). This is significantly more than the figure for the same period of the last championship - 5.6. On average, NHL teams scored 5.45 goals per game that season.
42. The last time NHL clubs managed to cross the line of six goals per game in the 2005-06 championship was 6.05 in 1230 games. And the level of 6.1 goals per game was exceeded for the last time in the regular championship of 1995-96 - 6.29.
43. This figure may be impressive, but it is still significantly less than 25 years ago, when NHL clubs averaged 7.25 goals per game.
44. There is another indicator of the increased performance: all 24 top scorers in the league (as of Saturday) are gaining an average of points per match. Last season, only eight of the top 24 played as effectively.
45. Pittsburgh have won all four games between Crosby and McDavid: two in regulation, one in overtime and one in shootouts. Now they can meet again at best only in the playoffs. Or next season.
46. “Islanders” figured out the game in the majority: “New York Islanders” for three weeks to establish the game in the majority and, apparently, the team was able to find the cause of failure and draw the right conclusions.
47. The first took place during the third season of the NHL - Montreal beat Toronto (St. Patrick's) with a score of 14-7, but then such a score was the norm.
48. The second such a productive match had to wait for more than 60 years - until the end of 1985, when Edmonton, led by the inimitable Gretzky, staged a shootout with Chicago and won 12-9. At the same time, Wayne did not score a single (!) Washer, but he helped his partners as much as seven (!) Times, which became a record for transfers in one game.
49. Andrew Hammond, who defended the gates of Ottawa and Colorado, got his nickname "The Hamburglar" (ie "Burgervor") long before the NHL during one of the varsity games for Bowling Green State University (NCAA). First, one of his teammates, Wade Finegan, began calling Hammond "Robber" for his ability to "steal" victories for his team. Then the nickname evolved into "Burglar" ("Thief"), then simply "Burgs". The result of this chain is the nickname "The Hamburglar", which is the name of a friend of Ronald McDonald, and this friend, as you might guess, loves to steal burgers on the sly. It was he who was depicted on the mask of the Canadian when he played for Ottawa.
50.Eighteen-year-old Alec Regula was selected by Detroit in the third round of the 2018 NBA Draft pick as # 67.
The 2022 NBA All-Star Game is an exhibition basketball game that will take place in Cleveland, Ohio on February 20, 2022 at the Cleveland Cavaliers' home arena, Rocket Mortage Fieldhouse. This game will mark the 71st All-Star Game in NBA history. The city played host to the All-Star Game in 1981 at the Colisium at Richfield and 1997 at the Queeken Loans Arena.
The original All-Star format did not change from the previous time. Voting leaders among fans, journalists and players from each conference will serve as team captains. Each captain first chooses the starting five players, and then the substitutes. The captain can select a player to his team from any conference.
The coaches for the NBA All-Star Game are those coaches whose teams have the highest win rates in each conference based on statistics as of February 3, 2022. However, the NBA rule states that a coach who has already coached an all-star team last year cannot be selected this year, even if his team has the best winning percentage in their conference. Therefore, Doc Rivers and Queen Snyder could not be selected.
Bemorepanda prepared some funny memes.
1.The picture speaks itself
3.Bron and AD
The composition of the teams is determined in two ways. Teams' starting fives are determined by voting among fans, NBA players and NBA journalists. When voting in the starting five, two back-row players and three front-row players must be selected. Fans will be able to vote for any NBA player once a day. NBA journalists and players will be able to vote once. Players have the right to vote for themselves and their teammates. The voting itself will begin on December 25, 2021 and end on January 20, 2022.
The substitutes are determined by voting among the head coaches of the teams of the respective conference. A coach is not allowed to vote for his team's players. The reserve players of the team are recruited from two defenders, three front-line players and two players, regardless of the role.
If a player is injured, the NBA commissioner determines his replacement from the same conference as the basketball player who will not be able to take part in the all-star game. If a basketball player of the starting five is injured, the head coach chooses from among the reservists the player who will be released from the first minutes of the match.
8.Look at your team
10.Losing to him
11.Kobe has the ball
14.My own pelican
17.Ex at the game
18.Two cool players
25.An A cause
26.Ready to go home
29.You mad Kobe?
32.When you realize
36.Jerome in the house
38.Hey what’s up
39.Low top Jordans
42.Buy a drink
43.The one you like
45.Done with him
47.Out of all his movies
50.You like your Earth?
The 2021-2022 NHL Championship is the 105th season of the National Hockey League (NHL). The regular season kicked off on October 12, 2021 and will run through April 2022, followed by the Stanley Cup playoff series.
This season, the NHL has added a new Seattle club, the Seattle Kraken, bringing 32 clubs to the 2021-2022 Championship - 7 from Canada and 25 from the United States. The Seattle Kraken play in the Pacific Division of the Eastern Conference and the Arizona Coyotes have moved to the Central Division.
Thus, this season, the league returned to its usual divisions, each of which now has 8 teams and a division into the Western and Eastern Conferences (due to restrictions last season, there were virtually no conferences and the Canadian Division was created).
During the regular season 2021-2022, all clubs play 82 matches (last season only 56), each team will play each at least twice. The match calendar includes a break for the 2022 Olympics from February 4th to 22nd.
Bemorepanda collected some funny memes about the new season.
1.The Islanders have fans
2.All I want
3.Like a boss
The National Hockey League is a professional sports organization that brings together the hockey teams of the United States and Canada. Nowadays, most experts recognize the NHL as one of the strongest on the planet. It should be noted that at the moment it is one of the main sports leagues in North America, along with the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. The league was formed on November 26, 1917, and on December 19, 1917, the first season began, uniting only 4 teams.
By the end of the 1930/1931 season, a total of 10 teams were playing in the NHL, vying each year for the league's top prize, the Stanley Cup. Originally, the Stanley Cup was played between the winner of the NHL and the winner of the Western professional hockey leagues, and since 1926 the Cup has become the full property of the NHL. However, the Great Depression, and various financial difficulties after it, dealt a severe blow to the league and the NHL was reduced to six teams. These teams, which have played in the league for 25 years since 1942, are still known as the "Big Six" (Original Six) - "Montreal Canadiens", "Toronto Maple Leafs", "Detroit Red Wings", "Boston Bruins", New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks.
4.A 5 dollar
5.Only Patrick here
6.Every time I make a save
7.I become anything
In the mid-1960s, teams began to emerge in the minor leagues, especially from the western United States, that could compete with the NHL teams. The strengthening of the Western Hockey League, which experts predicted its transformation into a league equal in strength to the NHL, as well as financial considerations prompted the NHL in 1967 to undertake the first expansion since the 1920s. Six more teams were admitted to the league, which formed a new division. They were the Philadelphia Flyers, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota North Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Oakland Seals and Pittsburgh Penguins. Three years later, the Vancouver Canucks and Buffalo Sabers joined the league.
In 1972, the World Hockey Association (WHA) was formed. Although the WHA never submitted a proposal to the NHL for a joint Stanley Cup, everyone recognized the league's strength and considered it a worthy competitor to the NHL. In this regard, the NHL decided to urgently continue its expansion policy and added the New York Islanders and Atlanta Flames to the league in 1972, and the Kansas City Scouts and Washington Capitals two years later.
8.Pulling 2 teeth
However, the increase in the number of teams in the league caused a decrease in the overall level of the game. These leagues fought for strong players until the collapse of the WHA in 1979. Four WHA teams have joined the NHL: Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordics, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. The Edmonton Oilers are currently the last team from the WHA to continue to be based in the same city where they were based. Quebec Nordics, Winnipeg Jets and Hartford Whalers have now changed their name and moved to other cities.
The NHL has continued to expand, and since the 2000/2001 season, the number of teams in the league has increased to its current maximum of 30 teams from 29 cities in the United States and Canada. Of the 30 teams in the National Hockey League, 7 are in Canada and 23 are in the United States. All NHL clubs have their own "farm clubs" - the so-called subsidiary teams, where hockey players who have failed to break into the main team play.
At the moment, the NHL has the following structure: there are two conferences in the NHL, each with three divisions, and each division with five teams. In the regular season, each team plays 82 games - 41 home and 41 away, each team playing at least one game with every other team in the league. The team gets two points for winning, the team gets one point for losing in overtime or in shootouts, and none for losing in regular time. At the end of the regular season, the team with the most points in its division becomes the division champion (points from games with all teams are taken into account, not just the teams of its division). Division winners and top 5 other teams from each conference advance to the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup.
18.The floor is lava
23.Grinds my gear
25.I play hockey
26.I got a cup
27.Brain on check
29.I have an army
31.The sea creators
35.For the record
39.Dollar beer night
45.Four to one
48.Everywhere I go
50.Kraken are in the metagame
In American football, the title of the final game for the title of champion of the National Football League (NFL) of the United States of America. The game and its accompanying celebration over the years, Super Bowl Sunday, has become a de facto national holiday in the United States.
The Super Bowl is generally the most watched television event of the year in the United States, with many companies spending millions of dollars on in-match advertising. This caused the start of the game to shift later and later to capture Sunday night prime time on the US East Coast. The game ended before sunset for the last time in January 1977 in Super Bowl XI.
Super Bowl are magic words for Americans. As a spell, all of America pronounces them on the eve of the main sporting event of the year. Long before the start of the game, all tickets are instantly sold out, for which the lucky ones at the box office of the stadium lay out very decent money - $ 150-200. Well, whoever is unlucky will take more than a thousand dollars from that on the black market, the “scalp removers” - as the local speculators are called here.
The most popular magazine "Time" called the day of the "Super Bowl" - the biggest time-out in America. Indeed, the streets of most of the country's cities are emptying, and the entire nation sits down in front of televisions to watch the thrilling game live. The matches draw an audience of 125 million spectators, or almost one in two US residents, 750 million fans watched from overseas. TV companies from 70 countries of the world were reporting live from the stadium.
1. Joe Theismann, former Washington Redskins: “There are no geniuses in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein. ”
2. Torrin Polk, Wide Receiver of the University of Houston. When asked about the coach of the team, he replied: “He makes men out of us. He allows us to wear earrings. "
3. Former New Orleans Saints running back George Rogers: “I want to run 1000 or 1500 yards. It depends on what mark I will reach faster. "
4. Houston Oilers Coach Bill Petterson: “Guys, I want you to think about just one word all season. One and only one word - Super Bowl. "
5. Former linebacker Dick Batkus (Chicago Bears): "I never wanted to intentionally hurt anyone, unless it was something like a League match."
6. Wide Receiver Jerry Rice (San Francisco 49ers): "I feel like I'm the best, but you won't make me say that."
7. Michael Logsdon: “There will always be hope in this country as long as Monday Night Football is watched more than Friends.
In China, where American football is also not very well known, matches attract 300 million TV viewers. Broadcasts are also being made in the White House. In other years, when American spaceships were in Earth orbit, astronauts at sky-high heights also enjoyed a great game. Perhaps, in the world there is no other similar match in team sports, which would annually attract not only in America, but throughout the world as much of the audience as the Super Bowl.
Many popular singers and musicians performed before the start of the game and during the ceremonies between the second and third quarters. Game Day is the second most food consumed day after Thanksgiving. As a rule, the US anthem is played before the start of each match.
Advertising during the NFL finals is the most expensive in the world. Therefore, most car brands here do not advertise themselves directly, but their own values.
On the night of February 8, in the National Football League final, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Kansas City Chiefs and won the Super Bowl for the second time in their history. The main NFL game has a multimillion-dollar audience, and therefore advertising during these meetings is the most expensive in the world.
8. Don Meredith (Dallas Cowboys) about his coach: "Tom Landry is such a perfectionist that if he marries Dolly Parton (a famous country singer), he will ask her to cook something for lunch."
9. Randy Cross (San Francisco 49ers): "The NFL, like life, is full of idiots."
10. Joe Namath, former NY Jets quarterback: "When you win, it doesn't hurt."
11. Tim Wrightman (Chicago Bears) on his team: "The Bears are so tough that after the quarterback sack they follow his family to the stands."
12. Joe Jacoby (Washington Redskins): "I'll hit my own mom on my way to the Super Bowl." He was echoed by teammate Matt Millen: "To win, I'll knock Joe's mom down too."
13. Dan Fouts (San Diego Chargers): "Now that I'm done with football, I want to say that all defensive linemen are women."
The best commercials for automotive brands that were shown during the broadcast. Some of them are real art.
It would seem, why attack Norway? But this is what actor Will Ferrell does in his GM commercial.
Ferrell at the beginning of the video asks if viewers know which country sells the most electric cars. He shows Norway on the map and breaks the globe with the words that he will not tolerate such a thing. The actor gets into the car - an electric car Cadillac Lyriq - calls for help from comedian Keenan Thompson, singer Aquafina, and goes with them to Norway.
True, they travel different paths and end up confusing countries: Ferrell ends up in Sweden, and his friends in Finland.
In the end, Will Ferrell promises Norway that they will come after her, meaning the US and US plans to overtake Scandinavia in terms of the number of electric vehicles per capita - just recently GM changed its logo, which symbolizes the reformatting of the brand towards the production of electric vehicles. GM currently has just one electric car, the Chevy Bolt EV, but plans to expand its electric lineup to 30 by 2025.
Ford also did not directly advertise any particular model and instead offered to unite around the fight against coronavirus. The video turned out to be social and aimed rather at maintaining the reputation of the automaker.
In a one-minute video, the American company told how important it is to take care of each other in this difficult time, and how our loved ones need help. In the description, the authors noted that Ford was one of the first automakers to soften antiquity measures in their factories and switch to developing protective measures in automobiles.
In addition, Ford donated 120 million masks to communities and organizations in need.
14. Mike Ditka (Chicago Bears) in his usual manner: “Do you know how a three week old puppy differs from a sports journalist? At six months, the puppy stops whining. "
15. Bum Phillips (San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints): "If I die tomorrow, at least I will know that I died healthy."
“I had more sex in Serie B than I do now. There is more time left for that. " Gianluigi Buffon.
17. “Football coaches are like fish. Over time, they start to whine. " Giovanni Trapattoni.
18. “If I had to choose: go through four players and score a goal for Liverpool from 30 yards or go to bed with Miss World, it would be a difficult choice. Fortunately, I had both. " George Best.
19. “David Beckham cannot play with his left foot, cannot play with his head, does not tackle and scores little. Otherwise, he's fine. " George Best.
20. “When was the closest I made love to the start of the match? Actually, it was during a break. " George Best.
The promotional video from Jeep turned out to be no less social. In it, the company recalled how important freedom is and that it is it that unites people.
The video filmed the Jeep CJ-5 model, which was produced from 1961 to 1983 and is considered a classic.
“Jeep kicks off matchday with a reminder that we are stronger than the obstacles that stand in our way. Remember everything that unites us as Americans, ”- written in the description of the video on YouTube.
The company noted that for 80 years the Jeep name has always been associated with freedom, authenticity, adventure and passion. So the authors let us know that the cars of this brand are intended for those who dream and go to their dreams.
The American subsidiary of Japanese Toyota told the story of Jessica Long, a 13-time Paralympic gold medalist, in a commercial.
Jessica was born in Siberia, her name was Tatiana Kirillova. Her parents left her in the hospital - the girl was born without small shin bones. Adopted by her American parents at 13 months, she is now a 23-time Paralympic medalist.
Toyota uses this story to tell that each of us has hope and strength for everything we want to do.
21. “Mom said that I was the best. And I never argue with my mother. " Diego Maradona.
22. "A match without a goal is like love without a kiss." Jose Altafini.
23. “Do not consider me arrogant, because what I say is true. I am a European champion. It means that I am not like everyone else. I am special". Jose Mourinho.
24. “If I wanted an easy life, I would stay at Porto. A beautiful blue chair, the Champions Cup, God, and right after God - me. " Jose Mourinho.
25. “Are we playing bored? I do not care. We are winning. " Jose Mourinho.
26. “Football is no longer a game. This is an industry. " Zdenek Zeman.
27. “I don’t drink. I only make exceptions when I win the title with Glasgow Rangers. Therefore, people think that I am an alcoholic. " Ian Ferguson.
28. "Football is simple, but it's difficult to play." Johan Cruyff.
29. “I have done very well with some of the responsibilities of England coach. But not with the part where the players win the matches. " Kevin Keegan, former England coach.
30. “Before my debut for Besiktas, a lamb was stabbed on the field and my forehead was anointed with its blood. It's for luck. For some reason they didn’t do that in England ”. Ferdinand Forest.
31. “The worst part of being a soccer player? Interview". Lionel Messi.
32. “It’s an honor to wear a Liverpool shirt number 7. She makes me think of the legends of the club: Dalglish, Keegan and that guy from Australia. " Luis Suarez.
33. “You need to run all the time. Any player, in any situation, has many reasons to start running. But there is no reason why a footballer could stay in one place on the field. " Marcelo Bielsa.
34. “I dreamed of playing in pink boots since childhood. But now I understand that boots encrusted with diamonds are even cooler. " Niklas Bendtner.
35. "How could anyone even think that the team would be better without me?" Paolo Di Canio.
36. "I want to end every match dripping with sweat and blood." Paolo Di Canio
37. “I'm still not used to England. Not only does it rain all the time, but food is a real disaster. " Patrice Evra.
38. “Who would I be if I didn’t become a footballer? A virgin. " Peter Crouch.
39. When Paul Ince played with a bandage on his head, he looked like a glass of Guinness. Paul Gascoigne.
40. "I love tackles more than sex." Paul Ins.
41. “The most beautiful goal in football was scored by Maradona. But such a goal can only be scored by the British. " Omar Sivori.
42. “Unsuccessfully prepared? Prepare for failure. " Roy Keane.
43. "Football as a woman: a little irrational." Silvio Berlusconi.
44. “I did not watch the England vs. Argentina match at the 1998 World Cup. It was late and I had to go to bed. " Theo Walcott.
45. “When I was young, I tried to do what others asked of me. Now I'm doing what the game requires. " Thierry Henry.
46. “I'm not a modern coach. I bought a computer five years ago. Until I figured out how this thing turns on. " Harry Redknapp.
47. “It can be difficult with foreign players. Often they are not interested in golf and horse racing. Some don't even drink. " Harry Redknapp.
48. “One title won with Roma is worth ten won with Juventus or Real Madrid. Francesco Totti.
49. "Raymond Domenech is the worst coach of the French national football team since Louis XVI." Eric Cantona.
50. “Do I regret hitting that fan? I wish I had hit him harder. " Eric Cantona.
Sports Channel 7 is a program dedicated to the National Hockey League of the USA and Canada.
As you know, Canada is considered the birthplace of ice hockey, this is only partly true, since the game was brought to Canada from Holland, but it was in Canada that hockey became so massive that it had to be organized somehow. The Amateur Hockey Association of Canada (LAKH) appeared, then the Ontario Hockey Association (AHO). At first, the organizations were friendly, the players freely moved from one to the other, but in 1910 new rules and regulations were established, the teams were distributed among the Leagues, there was tough competition and, of course, a lot of money.
A little later, modernized structures were formed: in the East - the National Hockey Association (NHA, National Hockey Association), in the West - the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (HATP). These associations held cup matches among themselves, and the winner received a silver cup, which to this day is called the Stanley Cup.
It was in those years, at the dawn of the 20th century, that the rules of the game of hockey were refined - the number of players in teams became six (instead of seven), numbers began to be applied to sweaters, two periods of 30 minutes each were replaced by three of 20. The ice space was divided into zones, a new statistics system was introduced, in which a point was awarded not only for a goal, but also for an assist - to determine the top scorers.
The First World War brought a lot of trouble to Canadian ice hockey, almost destroying the Association, but they survived and collapsed under financial oppression - and not a crisis, but bonuses and penalties caused by the dragging of players from one team to another. And quarrels over skating rinks.
All this led to the creation of a new League - the Canadian Hockey Association (KHA, Canadian Hockey Association), and later, on November 17, 1917, the birth of the National Hockey League (NHL, National Hockey League) was announced. The first NHL games took place on December 19, 1917, only 700 spectators were present at the stadium, including soldiers who were allowed to pass without tickets.
1. "An important victory for us. In the first period, we did not feel the best, but we got together and were able to return to the game. We managed to win, this is a good sign" - said the defender of Metropolitan Karl Alzner. “I feel great. I went through full training with Pittsburgh, and now I can play in peace,” said James Neal, who has scored four goals this season.
2. In the match between New Jersey and Los Angeles, goalkeeper Marty Brodeur was injured, but the goalkeeper seems to be alright. “I injured my shoulder during one of the saves. Nothing special, just felt discomfort and could not continue the game. However, for the match against Nashville on Saturday, I will be fine,” Brodeau promises.
3. Tampa Bay has suffered a third defeat in four games, but Marty Saint Louis is not panicking yet. "This is the NHL, no one here will give victories. Every season you start with a new sheet, you need to win points. I'm not worried about the start of the season, but we need to quickly return to victories."
4. Vancouver did not have the best start to the season, losing, like Tampa, three out of four meetings. “We must not allow a series of defeats. We need victories, we need to force our opponents to make mistakes, but for now it turns out that we ourselves are mistaken,” says Henrik Sedin.
5. Winnipeg lost today to Chicago, and as part of the Hawks, nominal right wing Patrick Kane continues to get used to the center-forward position. "I need a little more time to play properly in the center of the attack. Besides, I have never acted with Marian Hossa, so we all need time."
In the 1925-26 season, the NHL was first joined by a team from the United States, the New York Americans, and then, over the course of several years, the League was replenished almost every year with the help of US clubs. In the same season, the Stanley Cup became the official award of the NHL championship - and only this League.
The old guard of NHL fans remember exactly who Dale Hunter was. The iconic striker was one of the toughest players in league history with no authority. He has 3565 penalty minutes on his account (only Dave Williams has more - 3971), but the time spent in penalty boxing did not prevent Hunter from becoming an excellent center forward. During his rich career, he played 1,407 regular season games in the NHL and scored 1,020 points (323 goals, 697 assists) with a +101 utility rating.
The Canadian defended well, was an expert in throw-ins, acted aggressively in attack and was ready for anything for the sake of the team. Hunter became a Washington legend and went with the club to the Stanley Cup final (1998), and in the 2011/12 season he got the opportunity to train Capital. Even after the end of his playing career, Dale keeps his brand and is a sought-after specialist in junior hockey. Hunter's life path definitely deserves attention, because such sincerely dedicated people still need to be looked for.
In his first season in the NHL, Dale met the famous bad guy in hockey - Andre Dupont, nicknamed Elk. In "Nordics" the Canadian was already slowly ending his career, but did not lose his skills. He made a strong impression on Hunter and became his inspiration in many ways. Dale tried not to be inferior to his teammate and scored 226 penalty minutes in 80 games, while demonstrating excellent scorer abilities - 63 (19 + 44) points.
“Having an older brother playing in the best league made it easier for Mark and me to understand what it was. He always said: in order to break into the core of the NHL team, we need to attract attention in any way, "- recalls Dale. He coped with this task for sure. Even despite his modest height (178 cm), the forward was not afraid of anyone on the ice and was ready to smash any opponent. Sometimes even the glass could not stand it.
6. "I can't even ask for more from Kari Lehtonen. I can say with confidence that our goalkeeper won at least two matches for us," said Dallas mentor Glen Galutzan.
7. “We know that we live in hockey, with the help of which we can overcome pain, mistakes and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games. " Fred "Fog" Shero, Philadelphia manager
8. “Exchange Steve Yzerman? It's like asking if I want to trade my son Jason for a neighbor's child. " Jacques Demer (Detroit coach).
9. “I usually call a newbie and tell him where I like to sit on the bus, I tell him that he should stay away from me, make sure he knows not to touch anything from my ammunition.” Brendan Shanahan.
10. "My teeth have never been very good, so I hope I'll put in a better one for myself." Duncan Keith (Chicago quarterback after having his front teeth knocked out in the 2010 playoffs).
11. The medicine we need right now is double whiskey and aspirin. ” Harry Sinden (Boston general manager after Bruins' knockout).
12. “All records have already been set. So I decided to set the record that I can. " Robert Dirk (after receiving the first penalty in Anaheim Mighty Ducks history).
The team from "Nordics" got what they needed. Nobody liked to play against them, because almost everyone could stand up for themselves if they wanted to. André Dupont, Wally Weir, Randy Moller, Pat Price and many others. With Michel Goulet and three Štastny brothers, the Nordics became one of the most spectacular teams in the NHL, combining not only attacking hockey, but also power hockey. During his seven years at Quebec, Hunter became truly his own and scored 458 points in the regular championships.
In the Nordics only in the 1986/87 season he had less than 200 penalty minutes, and even then because of a broken leg. At the same time, the Canadian has never scored less than ten goals, but three times exceeded the mark of 20 goals in this indicator. The 1983/84 season was Hunter's best in terms of performance - 79 points (24 goals, 55 assists). Play and perseverance made the Canadian the heart of the team and a real thorn in Montreal. In 1982, in the playoffs, the striker scored the decisive goal and sent the Canadiens on vacation, and in 1984 became one of the instigators of the legendary ice battle, dubbed the Good Friday Massacre. 252 penalty minutes for everyone - this is how the real battle for Quebec looked like.
In June 1987, due to the restructuring in the Nordics, Hunter had to be exchanged. Dale, along with Clint Malarchuk, went to Washington in exchange for Gaetan Duchenne and Alan Haworth, as well as the first pick of the draft. Interestingly, thanks to this pick (15th number), Quebec took the legendary Joe Sakic.
The new career challenge did not bother Hunter at all. He spent 12 years in the US capital, five of them with the captain's patch (1994-1999). It was with Washington that the Canadian came close to the dream of winning the Stanley Cup - in 1998, the Capitals almost performed a real miracle. The team finished that season in fourth place in the Eastern Conference, and gained incredible progress in the playoffs. The composition was combat: Peter Bondra, Adam Oates, Andrey Nikolishin, Sergey Gonchar, Joe Junot and many others.
13. "How do you like a job where every time you make a mistake, a big red light comes on and 18,000 people scream in displeasure?" Jacques Plant.
14. "Eat another donut, fat pig!" Jim Schonfeld, New Jersey coach to referee Don Koharski during the 1988 playoffs.
15. "You can always find someone who thinks for you." Gordie Howe, answering the question why players always wear mouthguards but not helmets.
16. “She didn't pay me. I paid for it. By the way, what position can she play? " Harold Ballard, Toronto owner, commenting on the removal of a large portrait of Queen Elizabeth from the Maple Leafs Garden.
17. "If I knew the answer, I would have bet $ 10,000 and resign as coach." That Blake, the coach of Montreal, answering the question whether his team will win the upcoming match.
18. “Yes, I'm cocky and arrogant. But this does not mean that I am a bad person. " Jeremy Roenick. "I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of the fights." Brian Burke
On their way, “Washington” first beat Boston (4-2), confidently dealt with “Ottawa” (4-1) in the second round, and then knocked out “Buffalo” (4-2). Unfortunately for the fans of Stolichny, the fairy tale ended in the final. The fate of the three matches was decided by only one puck, but Detroit with the Russian five took the streak dry and won the main trophy.
Despite his 37-year-old age, Hunter did not miss a single game that season - 82 games in the regular season and 21 in the playoffs. 1998 was also unique for Dale because in January against Philadelphia, he gave three assists and reached 1000 points in the league.
The Canadian had an unshakable authority, which was considered not only by partners, but also by rivals. On March 11, 2000, Washington permanently assigned Hunter his 32nd playing number. It's funny that the club gave the striker one of the penalty box benches as a symbol of the place where he spent a considerable part of his playing career.
The behavior of the Canadian striker and his dirty play often became the center of attention of the entire hockey world, with the most famous incident taking place in Washington. In the 1993 playoffs, Hunter tried to get the game out of his zone, but ended up passing the ball straight to Islanders leader Pierre Tarjon. Dale tried to catch up with the opponent, but did not have time, and he, reaching the goalkeeper, sent the puck into the goal. This goal was decisive in the series and ended the season for the Capitals. Forward "Washington" did not think for long and with anger kick slyly knocked the "Islanders" striker's shoulder.
19. "When he's not injured or acting like a selfish little asshole, he's a very good player." Mike Milbury talks about Sabers player Tim Connolly on air.
20. "The only difference from Caster's Last Stand is that Caster didn't watch the video of the incident after all." Terry Crisp, Tampa Bay coach after a 0:10 loss (Caster's Last Stand is the famous battle in which General Caster was killed).
21. “He's in hockey for fights. If you lost 1: 7, but won 5 fights, he thinks you won. " Conn Smythe on King Clancy.
22. "When he raised his hands to celebrate a goal, everyone else immediately went to the bench, leaving him alone." Dave Taylor on Marcel Dionne, who was promised to be killed by unknown people if he scores two goals in a match.
23. “Sometimes people ask, 'Do they really fight in hockey?' I say, "If it weren't for real, I would have been in most of the fights." Wayne Gretzky.
The League could not ignore this act. New NHL commissioner Gary Battman said he would not tolerate such hooliganism. Hunter was given a record punishment for that period - a 21-match disqualification. Taking into account the fine and unreceived salary, his losses amounted to 150 thousand dollars. Islanders fans still do not like to remember that episode, as Tarjon missed several matches due to injury, lost his game tone, and his team stopped one step away from the Stanley Cup final. Interestingly, in the next season, Hunter, after serving a suspension, became a victim himself. Soon after his return, Aleksey Kovalev tore his knee ligament with a footboard.
The Tarjon case was far from the only one in Dale's piggy bank. The Canadian has never been known for his restraint, especially when his team is losing. “In my first year in the NHL, he and I played on the same link, and when the score was 5: 0 in favor of the opponent, he turned to me and said:“ Well, kid, it's time to take the game into our own hands! We will not leave the ice today until we hit someone in the face! " - this is what the former Washington forward Keith Jones told about Hunter in an interview. However, sometimes, in order to wave their fists, Hunter's team did not have to be inferior in the score.
24. "Is Wayne Gretzky sick?" Larry Robinson after becoming Player of the Week.
25. "If you can't beat them in the backyard, you can't on the ice either." Conn Smythe. "Tell him he's Wayne Gretzky." Ted Green (Edmonton coach) after Sean van Allen was unable to remember his name following a concussion.
26. “I slept like a baby. Every two hours I woke up and cried. " Tom McQuee, answering the question of how he slept after the defeat.
27. "A quick contact male game with clubs in hand and knives on their feet." Paul Gallico
28. “Good players are where the puck is. The great ones are where she will be. " Wayne Gretzky.
29. "All of this means that I will be 783 years old when I equal Scotty Bowman." Kevin Constantine.
30. "I know my players don't like my training, but that's okay because I don't like their game." Harry Neal.
31. "I am happy that there was a circus in our palace that we did not pay for." Harold Ballard.
32. "Hockey is the only place these days where you can see two white guys fighting." Frank Deford.
33. “Last season we couldn't win at home and lost away. My mistake is that I could not think of where else to play. " Harry Neal.
34. “Every day you guys play worse and worse. And today you played like tomorrow. " John Mariucci on the US Olympic team.
35. "When I look at the goal, I don't see the goalkeeper." Pavel Bure.
36. "When I look at the goal, I see two or three goalkeepers." Radek Dvorak.
37. "They played so tightly that I could tell what brand of deodorant they were using." Gary Dornhofer.
38. “Hockey is a men's game. The team with more real men wins. " Brian Burke.
39. “I don't like hockey. I just play it well. " Brett Hull.
40. “Some people play hockey. Gretzky plays chess at 40 miles an hour. " Lowell Cohn.
41. "Sometimes you think most of them escaped from the chimpanzee enclosure at the Bronx Zoo." Jerry Chivers
42. "When I forget my name, I can find it on my sweater." Stu Grimson.
43. "The only chance to catch Gretzky in a power move is while he sings the anthem." Harry Sinden
44. And I would like to end with a quote that is difficult to translate correctly into Russian because of the play on words:
45. "The three important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck." Gil perreault
46. Puck: A hard rubber disc that players hit when they can't hit each other. Jimmy Cannon
47. Hockey is the only game where you can still see two white guys fighting. Frank Deford
48. The most difficult thing for me was that I was constantly compared to Wayne Gretzky. Wayne Gretzky
49. I loved football so much that I watched only hockey. Leonid Leonidov
50. Lesbianism, homosexuality, masochism, sadism are not perversions. In fact, there are only two perversions: field hockey and ice ballet. Faina Ranevskaya