50 funny facts about dogs you probably didn't know - Bemorepanda
“A dog is a man’s best friend” is a good old quote, the most popular phrase, and the truest! But how much do we know about our friends? A variety of breeds, specific behavior, and endless devotion to the owner - are not all that can surprise pets. Today we will reveal 50 interesting facts that will help you understand our pets even more.
Top facts about dogs
1. Dogs love to sleep on their owner's bed, and there are 50% of them.
2. The most common problem among dogs is obesity. So, if you have a “strong man” growing, this is an occasion to think about it and take action!
3. For the first time, animal rights were written into the legislation of Japan in the 18th century. According to the law, the death penalty was awarded for the murder of a dog, and people are required to address stray dogs as “Your Honor”.
4. Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible.
5. The tallest dog is a Great Dane. Its height on its hind legs reaches 2.2 meters.
6. Be aware that the dog perceives you as the leader of the pack.
7. Your dog is uncomfortable with your hugs. For her, this is a signal of dominance.
8. A large dog has a hard time in the house. The smallest breed is the Chihuahua. The smallest weighs 900 grams, and its growth is like a can of Coca-Cola.
9. The oldest dog is 30 years old. In relation to human life, this is more than 200 years. In 2013, the venerable terrier reached 30 years old.
10. Sometimes dogs behave like people: they can drink very quickly, and even hiccup at dinner.
11. Did you know that the number of teeth in an adult dog is one and a half times more than in a puppy? For information, a puppy has 28, an adult has 42 teeth.
12. An experiment was conducted in New Zealand. As it turned out, the three dogs had a good ride behind the wheel of a car on a straight road and even learned how to turn!
13. We all know the symbol “@” is called “dog”, but this is only with us! For example, in the Czech Republic it is a herring, in Kazakhstan it is a moon ear, in other countries it is a strudel, a snail, a monkey.
14. The total number of genuine breeds is 703 varieties.
15. Long-nosed dogs have a more efficient internal cooling mechanism.
16. A puppy's vision begins to develop well only at the age of 1 month.
17. Taste buds in dogs are much poorer than human ones: 1700 compared to 9000 - a significant difference!
18. Keep in mind, a dog's sense of smell is hundreds of thousands of times stronger than a human's, so keep your goodies in a safe place.
19. Speaking of goodies. Chocolate is a dangerous sweet for dogs. The substance contained in it destroys the nervous system of the animal. Yes, it is detrimental to the heart. In the human body, it is broken down by enzymes.
20. Like newborn babies, Chihuahua puppies are born with fontanelles. This is a soft spot in the upper cranial region that gradually hardens with age.
21. Intellectual development of dogs, like a two-year-old child. They can count up to 5, understand about 300 gestures and words, and even successfully cope with elementary arithmetic tasks.
22. A large dog has a normal heartbeat of 70-100 beats per 1 minute - just like a person. In small breeds - from 100 to 140.
23. It is thanks to a wet nose that the dog easily determines where the smell comes from.
24. The exotic name of the breed “Chihuahua” appeared in honor of the Mexican state, where they found these miniature crumbs.
25. The Boxer dog loves to play with its front paws, which is where the name of its breed comes from.
26. First-class seats in the Titanic saved three dogs from death. Pekingese, Newfoundland and
Pomeranian miraculously survived.
27. On the paws of thoroughbred dogs "Lundehund" six fingers.
28. Dog owners are 65% more mobile than those who do not have a favorite pet.
29. Dogs are the direct descendants of wolves.
30. When a dog drinks, its tongue resembles the shape of a spoon, but only wrapped down.
31. Before embarking on an important action or deed, the dog instinctively demands approval and praise from the leader.
32. In Russia, stray dogs have learned to use the subway for their own purposes. To get food, they confidently ride from one station to another in search of the most populated areas.
33. Once upon a time in Greece, spiked collars were invented that protected dogs from wolf aggression.
34. The dog evaluates the object first by observing the movement, then pays attention to the brightness and only in the end to the form.
35. In the name of the dog, the Canary Islands got their name. The inhabitants of the dog were on a par with the gods. By the way, in honor of the same islands, birds were also named canaries.
36. The dog has 3 pairs of eyelids - lower, upper and nictitating.
37. In 1988, in America, at customs, the dogs Barco and Rocky patrolled the border between Mexico and Texas (the so-called cocaine alley zone) so effectively that they delighted the drug lords, who then offered 30 thousand dollars for them.
38. A dog hears ultrasound well. With this in mind, Paul McCartney added this sound to his beloved dog at the end of “A Day In The Life”.
39. In 1994, the record for the fastest Greyhound breed was recorded. Its maximum is 67.3 km per hour. To this day, the record remains the same.
40. In ancient China, the emperor had a mini-dog Pekingese as a spare defensive “weapon”. Hiding in the sleeve of her leader, feeling the danger, she immediately attacked the enemies.
41. In the days of Ancient Russia, according to the law of the XIV century, a dog was a very valuable animal - it could be exchanged for 3 best horses, a flock of sheep or 1 ox.
42. A Korean scientist cloned a dog for the first time in 2005. Today, the procedure can be repeated for 100 thousand dollars.
43. When the dog of the outstanding future poet Lord Byron was not allowed into Cambridge College, he staged a kind of protest, bringing a bear cub with him.
44. Women from Mississippi were extremely outraged by the fact that happened in the USSR. After all, everyone knew what fate awaited Laika, who flew into space. Housewives wrote a letter to the UN with a proposal to use Negroes for scientific experiments: “We have as many of them as our heart desires,” they protested, “but for the experiment, as it turned out, it makes no difference whether these creatures are alive or not!”
45. “Get out of the water” is an expression that actually refers to Newfoundland dogs. And in fact, they do not get wet in the water, and the webs on their paws allow them to swim perfectly.
46. Is a Hollywood star a dog? Sounds strange, but it's a fact! In the collection of the German Shepherd Rin Tin Tin, there are as many as 22 film agreements. And he signed them himself with a paw print.
47. The specific smell from your pet, reminiscent of chips, is not a reason to punish him for theft. The reason may be microbes accumulated on the paws that smell like chips. So first of all, take care of your hygiene!
48. A dog is a predator by nature, therefore, food should be predominantly protein of animal origin, and less carbohydrates (cereals, potatoes, etc.) accidents. The goose did not leave the animal in trouble, but became a guide for it, directing it with cries and neck.
49. Dogs have a larger range of sizes than any other mammal.
50. A dog's hearing is 10 times more sensitive than a human's, which is why 70% of owners believe that their pets successfully predict a storm.
Have you always wanted to know what your pet is thinking and feeling? Why is he so afraid of thunderstorms? Or does he love you? Many studies show that all dogs show their emotions in the same way. This behavior was the result of living together with people and dogs side by side for several thousand years. We are so used to each other that our pets have unique ways of expressing their affection specifically for a person. Here are just some of the signs that will help you understand if your dog loves you.
Your dog loves you!
They spend most of her time with you. The best place in the house is next to the owner. When the dog is not busy with his important canine business, he seeks to spend time with his loved one. To people who are not interesting to her, she will prefer to chase pigeons or dig up a flower bed. Along with the owner, of course.
The dog is glad you are back home. Crazy joy after your return home is another clear sign that you are loved and expected. A dog will never be happy with the arrival of a person to whom it is indifferent.
Calmly accepts your departure. It is generally accepted that the stormy experiences of the animal before your departure are a sign of strong affection and love. But in reality, things are a little different. If the dog reacts quite calmly to your departure, it means that he trusts you and is sure that you will return.
Your dog sleeps with you. A loving dog will always want to sleep next to you in your bed. Of course, if you let her.
Comes to you to lie around after eating. After eating, the dog concentrates on the most important. And if, after eating, she spins around you, lies down next to you or wants to climb on her knees, this is how she expresses her love.
Her best toys are your toys. If a dog brings you his favorite ball or teddy bear, it is far from always worth taking it as a call to play. First of all, this is a sign of affection and a desire to please you. Suddenly you will like this toy too.
Your dog cuddles up to you. Sometimes a dog will snuggle up to its owner because it is nervous or afraid, which in itself is a show of trust and confidence in your ability to protect it. However, it is also a sign of true love. As well as the desire to play, chat or go for a walk.
The dog loves to lick you. While not very hygienic, licking is the best way for dogs to express their love.
How do you feel about your dog?
Scientists believe that dogs feel the attitude of others. Love your pet, and he will definitely love you back.
Notice the regular loving look. In many cases, direct eye contact in dogs means aggression or a fight for dominance. It is for this reason that it is not recommended to look directly into the eyes of unfamiliar dogs. However, if your own dog likes to make eye contact with you without any signs of aggression or irritation, then by doing so he is expressing his love for you.
The peace-loving and joyful look of the dog indicates that she is completely comfortable next to you.
See if the dog's tail leans more to the right when he wags you. Not all tail wagging has the same meaning. In many cases, when the dog's tail deviates more to the right than to the left, this indicates his affection for you and a happy state. On the other hand, if the tail deviates more to the left, this may indicate anxiety and irritation.
However, the above signs are not true for all dogs. In general, if the dog's tail is moving parallel to the ground and he looks quite happy on the outside, he is most likely showing you his affection.
Pay attention to how regularly the dog looks back at you. Does she often break away from smelling and turn around to look at you during walks? If you are in a forbidden room for a dog in your house, is he waiting for you at the door? Does he check in regularly to see what you are doing? Basically, if a dog wants to know what you're up to all the time, chances are he really loves you!
If you walk your dog with your spouse, partner, brother, sister, parents, friends, and so on, pay attention to which of you the dog checks more often than others. This will probably be the person she loves the most!
See how much your dog is happy about you. If the dog is unable to contain his own excitement when you return home from work or school, then this is a clear sign of affection for you. If the dog does not even notice you when you arrive, then most likely you are not a priority for him.
Of course, different dogs have different levels of arousal, so it's best to judge your dog's reaction to you versus his reaction to other people. For example, if a dog is happy with anyone who enters your house, but when you come home, he is undisguisedly delighted, then this is a good sign.
Consider how quickly the dog calms down around you. This is the other side of the coin, which should also be considered in the dog's outburst of admiration when he sees you. If soon after the initial enthusiasm, the dog begins to cling to you or just wants to stay close to you, then this indicates a high level of comfort that he feels in your company.
Dogs get excited easily when they meet someone they like. However, if the dog quickly calms down in your presence, this indicates a higher level of trust and affection for you.
See if the dog likes to take your things or sleep with them. You may be annoyed by the dog's habit of carrying your slippers or going to bed on your T-shirts left on the bed. But this behavior demonstrates her love! Your personal belongings carry your scent, and the dog wants to be close to this scented reminder of you.
Therefore, instead of getting upset because of gnawed and slobbered slippers, brag to everyone at home that this is a sign of the pet's greatest love!
Assess the speed of the dog's reaction to your call and commands. Dogs can follow the commands of many people. However, the clear desire of the dog to carry out commands and the high speed of their execution most likely indicate the dog's attachment to a particular person.
A faster reaction is due to the fact that the dog wants to be near a loved one and wants to please him.
If your dog is generally not very good at following commands, the very fact that he obeys you more often may be a sign of affection.
Think about who provided care for the dog during the first six months of its life. Dogs tend to become strongly attached to those who provided them with the necessities of life in puppyhood. If it was you who cared for the pet in the early stages of his life, then with a high probability we can say that he developed a deep and strong attachment to you.
Predictably, the quality of early care and the amount of love you show will affect the strength of your pet's affection.
However, this does not mean that you will not be able to establish a strong relationship with the dog that you adopted as an adult. It may take longer for her to develop trust in you, to develop feelings of comfort and affection, but in most cases, dogs successfully form friendships with those who provide them with loving care.
Assess the quantity and quality of spending time with your dog. This is the main factor in the relationship with the dog, which is under your control. How much time do you spend with your dog, and how well do you spend that time? Do you play with your dog, provide exercise, explore the world, or relax together? Do you feed and water your dog well, keep it clean and take care of its health? All these things affect the development of affection in a pet.
Even if you aren't currently the most attentive host, it's never too late to start!
Notice if the dog has positive associations with you or with people like you. We can say that sometimes dogs think in stereotypes. For example, if the first owner of a dog was a woman, then it will probably be easier for her to establish friendships with women. If a dog in puppyhood had a not very good owner with a beard, then it may be wary of bearded people.
It is possible to overcome the dog's negative associations, but it will take more time and effort on your part to develop a strong and loving relationship with him. In this case, the most important thing is to ensure that the experience of communicating with you from the very beginning always remains only positive for the dog.
Video is being processed...
Feel free to roam the site while you wait.
Dog training is an essential component of raising a pet, allowing the owner and his ward to understand each other and have a fun and exciting time together. This kind of communication with a pet brings the pleasure of spending time together and a mutual benefit. Using different commands for dogs, the owner can teach the pet to behave safely for himself and those around him, improve his motor and voice abilities, speed, reaction, ability to distinguish situations, and respond correctly to them.
What makes a dog breed smart?
In 1994 Stanley Coren, professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, published The Intelligence of Dogs. This book has become a bestseller. It has already gone through 16 editions and has been translated into 26 languages.
The author considers three aspects of dog intelligence in his book: instinctive intelligence, obedience intelligence, and adaptive intelligence. Obedience intelligence is the dog's ability to follow human commands. The intelligence of obedience formed the ranking of the most intelligent dog breeds, which Stanley Coren presented in his book.
Why train your dog?
"An obedient dog is a happy owner." Many dog owners agree with this statement. After all, having decided to let a pet into our lives, we want to see in it a friend, a source of joy and pride. However, if the pet constantly behaves as he pleases and does not obey, it becomes a source of stress for the owner. Both are unhappy when the relationship between the dog and its owner does not add up. Therefore, it is essential not to miss the moment and start training on time.
A properly trained dog is the responsibility of each owner not only for the well-being of the one he has tamed but also for his peace of mind. A little training will benefit any dog, regardless of age, breed, or temperament. For the owner himself, regular exercise with the animal will help better understand the needs of the latter, become an excellent occasion for training and open up new opportunities: the better the pet behaves, the easier it is to take it with you wherever you go.
Self and professional training
Proper training is one of the basic needs of your pet. The sooner he learns to understand you and respond to dogs' basic commands, the higher the level of your mutual understanding in the future. And this, in turn, is the key to a long and happy coexistence.
Dog training should be regular, so make your training plan before starting. It is worth beginning the activity of a four-legged friend at two to three months during home quarantine after vaccination. First, teach him to respond to the nickname and the collar and leash. One of the advantages of home workouts is simplicity and accessibility; you don’t even have to leave the house or use complicated devices.
By having sufficient knowledge, you can teach a dog commands at home. However, the owners may have difficulties. Unlike a dog handler, an amateur does not know how to train a dog and may not achieve desired results. Also, the owner is unlikely to be able to reveal his talents. This is a disadvantage of home training.
Therefore, it is still recommended to contact specialists who tell you what commands the dog should know and why. If we are talking about a puppy, then, having taught him the basic commands for dogs at the age of four months, you should take a course of educational training. It is never too late to turn to a cynologist for help: he will select the optimal program and help realize the pet's full potential. Among the disadvantages for the owner is the need to find time, effort, and funds for paid classes, which are not always and not available to everyone. It is also essential to choose a good training center and trusted specialists to avoid wasting money and not harming the dog.
Remember: professional training does not replace your participation in raising a pet; the owner himself must establish a personal, trusting relationship with him. The relationship between the owner and the ward can only be reinforced with the help of professional courses.
The difference between training adult dogs and puppies
Depending on the dog's age, they require a unique approach, including when it comes to training. It is essential to understand how to train a dog depending on its breed, talents, and physical fitness. Of course, an adult dog has a specific life experience and, one way or another understands and orients itself more to what is happening around, while a puppy is a blank slate with a set of instincts; its upbringing should be approached especially carefully.
The main difference is the use of human force. So, in no case should it be used to train a baby; it is necessary to focus on the interest and curiosity shown by a young pet and a food target. He will react to the treatment. At the same time, adult dogs can exhibit dominant behavior; for them, treats are not always an incentive to follow the command, so there is interference from the owner. We are talking about harmless techniques for the animal, such as pressing on the sacrum when landing or holding on its side. Also, training is not suitable for young pets, one way or another contributing to the development of aggression. For example, teaching dog commands such as "Face."
Before starting classes, find out how to properly train a dog at home and familiarize yourself with the rules and principles regardless of the pet's age.
For self-study with a pet, you will need a collar and a leash - for control and manipulation, a stick or a toy - for fetching and a pre-prepared treat. These simple things may be enough for your dog to follow basic commands.
Suppose you plan to prepare your dog for more serious exercises, such as steeplechase, climbing, descent and ascending. In that case, you need to equip the site in advance and prepare barriers and other devices. You should read the necessary literature in advance and choose the right equipment depending on your dog's age, height and weight, breed, and physical abilities. It is best to start this kind of training at a cynological school, and then, following the example, continue at home.
What are the most intelligent dog breeds in the world?
The beautiful black dog of medium size. Hardy and physically developed breed. It is adapted to a harsh climate. It has thick and warm fur.
She has proven herself to be the perfect watchdog. Ideal for rural residents and owners of farmlands and country houses. Can exterminate rats, moles, and other rodents. He is affectionate with children and loves to play with them. He does not conflict with "his" cats; he will drive other people's cats out of the territory.
Schipperke has a sonorous voice. With the help of barking, it warns the owner of the danger, the intrusion of uninvited guests. In a city apartment, the dog will be hot and cramped. It is more suitable for the countryside. The owners note that the pet understands them perfectly.
14. Belgian Shepherd (Tervuren)
Dogs are very hardy and hardworking. If you wish, you can teach your pet any skills. It will become a shepherd, tracker, guide, nanny, etc.
They have a good memory. Remember many commands. They obey the first order. There are no problems with this dog.
The Tervuren is the most intelligent variety among the Belgian Shepherds. Recall that it has three more types. They differ in color and coat texture.
13. English Springer Spaniel
The hunting breed was formed in England. The first mention of them dates back to the 16th century. They developed flair and vision. Hunters say the dog adapts to any type of hunting.
Loyal, not dangerous for children. They cannot take on the functions of a watchman or guard. She is not aggressive and trusts people.
Suppose you want to acquire a skillful and tireless intellectual assistant for hunting hares and birds. In that case, you will not find a better option.
You can go to the forest with a dog for six months. The Springer Spaniel has a protective coat. Learn more about the English Springer Spaniel breed.
12. Miniature Schnauzer
A dog with a colorful appearance. You have probably already seen photos of this breed. The cheerful bearded man has extraordinary abilities.
In addition, the dog is brave, sensitive, and brave. It is not embarrassed by its own small size. Miniature schnauzers are always ready to come to the rescue of the owner.
Dogs are intelligent and quick-witted, amenable to training. Very devoted. They don't like being alone.
You will get an intelligent and loyal friend who will accompany you everywhere. Please note that you will take responsibility. Miniature Schnauzers are unaware of their modest size. They can engage in a fight with formidable dogs.
11. Welsh Corgi
This breed is included in the list of dogs with excellent working qualities. It is enough for Welsh to repeat the command six times so that he remembers and learns it.
Belongs to the shepherd breeds bred in the UK. He knows how to lead a herd and guards the house. This is a mobile dog. In a small apartment, it will be cramped. But you can take part in a variety of dog sports. Welsh Corgi can be trained and understands what the owner wants from them.
No conflict and benevolence with all members of the family. The pet has a cheerful character, loves to play, and gets along with children. The Elizabeth II dynasty loves corgis. Her pets often became winners of various competitions.
10. Australian Cattle Dog
Active and executive breed. Little known in our country. She was bred to help Australian shepherds. She manages the herd very well. The shepherd dog not only monitors the safety of livestock but also knows how to lead it in the right direction and takes on the role of leader.
This is a devoted breed. It cannot do without a master. The owner is very fond of it. Ideal for modern farmers and rural residents.
The appearance of the Australian Cattle Dog is colorful. Tricolor dogs often represent this cute animal.
Brutal, serious dogs. They were previously used in the slaughter of cattle. Butchers kept them, and dogs were used as draft power.
An intelligent breed. Modern breeders have found a use for them in the police. They protect criminals and accompany them in prisons. Can be aggressive if not properly trained. But you always need a reason to attack. Rottweilers need a reputable owner.
Despite its mental abilities, the dog is not recommended for keeping people with unstable mentality, teenagers, women, and a first pet. This is the best guard and bodyguard in our TOP-15.
Once upon a time, dogs of this breed were kept by members of the royal dynasty. Dogs of small stature are overall ideal for city apartments.
Papillons will satisfy the taste of the most demanding breeder. This is a decorative breed. A distinctive feature is the ears. They are decorated with decorative wool and resemble butterfly wings in shape.
Papillons are intelligent and quick-witted. Their intelligence develops as they grow older. They adapt to any conditions and feel the owner at the level of intuition.
This is a recognizable breed. You will not confuse a photo of a Papillon with anyone else.
7. Labrador Retriever
Popular breed in many countries of the world. Strong, kind, active, and obedient dog. She is not aggressive. Can cope with the role of a nanny, guide, and rescuer. They developed job skills. Therefore, Labradors are used in the search service.
Labradors have an excellent sense of smell. They can find a person on an old trail. They react to the smells of illegal substances.
This breed can be considered universal. It will cope with the duties you entrust to it—adapted to urban conditions, not demanding to care—enough standard procedures.
The Labrador Retriever is suitable for beginner breeders. This is a capable and obedient breed.
Inexperienced breeders confuse this dog with a collie. But they are different breeds. The Sheltie is a large, attractive dog. They are often used as family companion dogs.
They have a decorative appearance. Maintenance can be complicated by caring for long and thick hair. But shelties are very smart and careful. They are perfect in the city.
Readily amenable to training, obedient, able to act according to the situation. This is an innovative and responsible dog. She will not leave you without help.
5. Doberman Pinscher
Stephen Coren also included the Doberman Pinscher in his ranking. The fact is that the Doberman Pinscher needs a competent owner. He must be able to handle a dog of this breed. Then the pet turns into a bright girl whose abilities are admired.
Doberman pinschers are suitable for the role of bodyguards. They will protect their master. But they need a firm hand and an authoritative owner. Otherwise, he will turn into an uncontrollable dog.
4. Golden Retriever
Handsome and smart. The ideal family dog. Works as a guide, lifeguard, replaces a nanny. These luxurious dogs have an attractive exterior. They are physically developed and robust. Retrievers have great patience. They will never attack a person without a good reason.
Golden retrievers are endowed with a mind. They have an excellent memory, are obedient students, and remember many commands. And this is not a complete list of all the advantages of dogs of this breed.
3. German Shepherd
The mind and intelligence of the German Shepherd are legendary. Loyal dogs are always where their help is needed. They serve on the border, work with the police, support the search for criminals and save people in emergencies.
German Shepherds are a large breed. They are physically developed, strong, brave, and obedient. Not aggressive towards children or other pets. They are aware of their strength and behave adequately.
The German Shepherd is suitable as a family dog. She is devoted to her family. Unfortunately, the breed has now ceased to interest breeders. Exclusive and rare types of dogs are in fashion.
The breed of poodles received positive reviews. We know that funny dogs often perform in the circus arena. Wandering artists worldwide have always kept a cheerful and intelligent dog with them.
Stephen Koren included this breed in his list. He believes that she has a heightened degree of intelligence.
Interestingly, poodles do an excellent job as rescuers. They can rush to help a drowning person. Some species do well in hunting and the protection of the home. But one thing is essential. This dog will never leave the owner in trouble.
1. Border Collie
Cynologists worldwide are sure that this is the most intelligent breed of dog. The Border is a versatile breed. It can be trained in almost everything. If a person wishes to have a nanny for his children in a dog's face, he will not find a better candidate. Border collies are excellent as a shepherd, guides, and guard. They will make great companions.
Dogs of this breed are endowed with such qualities as:
- mind and ingenuity;
They are focused on a person and do not pose a danger to him. In addition, the breed has an attractive exterior. You can verify this by looking at the photo.
Video is being processed...
Feel free to roam the site while you wait.