50 stupid web life hacks that work
If something sounds stupid and even looks stupid but works, will you still consider it stupid? What is known is that in the world of life hacks, even the strangest ideas can be of some value. All it takes is a little creativity and determination. After all, genius and madness are often two sides of the same coin.
Non-standard advice from Internet users
Below you will find a list of the most bizarre life hacks that surprisingly work. Reddit users' life hacks.
1. Life hack for any relationship
“One day, my wife and I were sitting on the couch watching TV. Suddenly, I heard that a text message had arrived on my phone. I went to the kitchen to check the news: it was from my wife, who asked me to grab a bag of chips along the way. – located
2. How to get a roommate to clean up
“I signed up on Tinder as a hottie, swiped to the right on my neighbor’s account, and told him that I was going to visit him - he immediately cleaned up.” – austinlockedup
3. How to solve any problems
“How is the deer population controlled? They let the wolves into the area. All problems should be solved similarly. Too many harmful emissions? Launch the wolves into the factories. Do you not like the actions of politicians? Wolves again. Do you want to lose weight? The wolves come to the rescue again. – LeBearGirdle
4. How to get a free wedding gift
"Honeymoon Tip: Send an invitation to every billionaire whose address you can find - your chances of one of them sending you a gift without really thinking who you are is 50/50" - behind your back
5. If it looks stupid but still works, it's not stupid.
“Last week, I taped two carpets together because I didn’t have enough money for a custom cowhide rug.” – cindaysaur
6. “Every time he goes to the local bar, dad takes the remote control to change the TV channels. I'm embarrassed and impressed at the same time." – BandoLou
7. 100% working hack
“Today is Valentine’s Day, and you are tormented by loneliness? Turn off the lights and watch a horror movie. After a while, you will no longer feel like you are alone. – Jeffjjsjz
8. Professional advice on unethical living
“If you can’t remember a word, just say: “I forgot how it will be in Russian.” Then everyone will think you're bilingual and not dumb." – TheAndrewNadeau
9. “If you get your shirt dirty, you can circle the stain with a marker and give it a name. In an instant, it will turn into a group of islands.”– joecool32
10. Guide to crying
“Professional advice: never cry on holidays and weekends. Cry on a working day - get paid for your depression! Don't let capitalism take over." – lawyerman_ktk
11. Customize your online workout by simply turning it off
“One day, I signed up for an online workout that was too hard. And when the instructor said, "Stand in a plank position and touch your knee to the opposite elbow," I decided to improve the exercise by turning off the computer and making a batch of pancakes." – morgan_murphy
12. In case of a shark attack
“If a shark bites you, bite it back. You might die, but the shark will think, "Lol, what was that?" –DrakeGatsby
13. And again: "if it works, it's not stupid." – person the third
14. How to hack life
“New idea for tinder: upload all the photos upside down - the girls flip the phone to look at them, realize that you are scary, swipe left (which is right), and you have a match!” - human_dis4ster
15. Fitness advice
“Train smarter, not harder! Most gym goers lift heavy weights. But in fact, smaller dumbbells are much easier!” – ronnui_
16. How to be "productive."
“Always work on two projects at the same time. When you put off project A, you will work on project B. And vice versa: if you get tired of B, you will return to A. You will exactly double your productivity just by procrastinating.” – Watsky
17. Just an intelligent hack
“I saved a lot of money on Christmas gifts by deciding to discuss politics on social media.” – marklutchman
18. How to avoid talking
"Start every conversation with, 'My battery will run out soon.'
19. “I realized that, in principle, you don’t need to assemble a bedside table.” – ImWadeYo
20. “My brother wanted to measure the height of the trees in his backyard. And that's how he did it." – Shwnwllms
21. The main thing that works
"Earthquake Detection Device." -Potter_Pegasus
22. Button up
“Don't embarrass a man by telling him about an open fly in public. Be a man: go up to him and slowly fasten the lock for him. – doublewides
23. Test hairstyles on children
“I could not decide on a bang for a long time, so I made it to my daughter - it looked terrible. Think I dodged a bullet." – mom-jeans-please
24. “If you can’t afford cup holders, get flooring samples from your nearest construction site. They are free, come in a variety of colors and finishes.” – Jaunt-
25. Another pro tip
"If you can't remember her name in the morning, take her to Starbucks." – StagnantSoldier0947
26. “I started painting the stairs, so I had to protect it from the dog. The decision was not long in coming."
27. When the landlord says, “No dogs!” – Belazur
28. “It doesn't matter how it looks. It must work!" -mrbik225
29. "Manual: how to have fun as a parent." – i-like-to-be-wooshed
30. While we live in 2022, this person lives in 3021.
31. Finally, a handy "life hack."
“Do you want me to stop writing to you? Send an SMS to the interlocutor: “SERVICE ERROR 305: SMS WAS NOT SENT. FEE FOR SUBSEQUENT REPORTS WILL BE DECENT FROM YOUR ACCOUNT." –UltraThiccBoi69
32. The 5-second rule
“If an animal is chasing you, lie down on the ground and freeze for 5 seconds. This five-second rule will protect you from being eaten." – life_lamp
33. Vaccinate your computer!
"Download mild viruses to your computer to help it develop immunity (it's a joke)." – soap86882
34. “A flood is a great opportunity to turn your home into an aquarium.”
35. “When it’s sunny outside, I don’t want to work at home. But the light is so bright that I can't see the screen. Putting the laptop in a box will block the morning, and the screen will become bright again. And the computer will not overheat.
36. How to stay thin
“Sometimes I buy two chips, eat them, and put one empty pack into another. So no one knows how much I ate.” – knightsglow
37. "When everything is thought out." – worx777
38. Heading "crazy hands."
39. An effective way to get drunk during quarantine.
“Don’t eat all day and get carried away with two beers. This is what I call financial literacy." – Benny Willard.
40. Independent fact-checkers have shown that this is the whole truth.
"There isn't a law that says you can't pretend your friend is your former employer." – JackWilliamRtF
41. “My 12-year-old son has upgraded his bike by gluing carpet onto the pedals so he can comfortably ride barefoot.”
– Benny Willard
42. In case you're worried about winning lottery tickets
“Chris, I gave you two $25 tickets for Christmas. I decided to check them out ahead of time (just in case). The winnings amounted to $ 2 - I apply. Merry Christmas! Nicole." – udunn0jb
43. You have power!
“When you feel powerless, remember that just one of your pubic hairs can shut down an entire restaurant.” – cuttymcwrists
44. “The man in front of me on the train uses Twix as a pillow.” – star_man_u
45. Steal Big
My advice to anyone doing an unpaid internship: Steal! Including large equipment. Take the printer and roll it straight into the elevator." – Seangentille.
46. Shopping hack
"Why buy plastic bags when I can buy a cart?" – derekedwardsgb
47. “If your key breaks in half, just stick it in a potato-like my friend did this morning.” – gape
48. "Cool your butt on a hot day just by pressing it against a cold door."
49. Real Philosopher
“We are so stupid that we cook food for a whole 40 minutes at 180 degrees when we can do simple calculations and cook a dish in just a minute at 7760 ° C.” – venusianbaby
50. “By cutting tennis balls in half, you can save space and store as many as five balls in one jar.” – fantafano
Cats are one of the best pets. They are the most affectionate, playful animals, giving their owners many positive emotions. But there are some not-so-pleasant things that we humans have to put up with - shedding, the smell of cat litter, the desire to scratch everything. This is something that cats cannot avoid, such of their nature.
Things to know for those with a cat or a cat in the house
But we can minimize these "side effects" by learning to understand our pets' needs, properly care for them, and control their behavior. To do this, Bemorepanda has prepared a list of tips that can be useful for both those who already have cats and those who are just planning to get them. After all, the weather in your home will depend on how satisfied the cat's needs are. Reddit users shared some cool stuff.
1. Talk to your cat. This helps establish rapport, and your pet will respond to more tones of your voice.
2. Hang an inexpensive bird feeder outside the window and ensure you have a chair or table near the window so the cats can sit and watch the birds. It will entertain them every day! — soaringrooster
3. Every pet owner should consider pet insurance. Even if you think you have enough money to cover the cost of a veterinarian, pet insurance can save you a lot of money if your pet gets sick or injured. — ItsJess
4. If you find that your cat tends to sit on your book or keyboard or in front of your monitor when you try to use it, place an open box large enough for your cat on the table. If there's one thing cats love more than sitting on a keyboard, it's sitting in boxes.
You can also put a spare keyboard next to the one you use. — Valerie G
5. You can build your cat tent with some essential items you already have at home. Using wire hangers, make a tent-like frame with two hangers crisscrossing each other at the top, and place an old t-shirt on top of the frame. — instructables.com
An old T-shirt or towel is a good idea, especially if they smell like you. If it has been washed, rub it on your head and face. My husband and I scratch our heads and look at the old towels we put on our pets' new beds to get them to sleep. Trust me; they love anything that smells like mom and dad. — Kathryn Baylis
6. Cats love houseplants but hate citrus fruits. Put a few orange peels in or around the pot to scare away a mischievous cat. This will help prevent your cat from eating your plants and digging in the ground.
7. Use a rubber glove to remove cat hair from the sofa.
8. If the kitten hates being placed in the carrier and breaks out, turn the carrier so that the door faces the ceiling. Roll the kitten into a ball and put it in the carrier first. — thatbtchshay
One guy came to me, and his hands were mutilated. I told him in the future to throw a beach towel over the cat, roll it up into a ball, quickly stuff it into the carrier and slam the door. You'll be on your way to the door when she gets out from under the towel. — Valerie G.
9. Stop cat food spills with rubber shoe mats.
10. ice cubes with a few treats are a great toy that will keep your cat feeling nice and cool on hot summer days. — bluecross.org.uk
11. Sterilize them. To ensure that all cats have a safe and happy home, one of the critical goals of cat welfare is to promote spaying to keep the cat population under control. cats.org.uk
12. If your cat lets you touch her paws, it means she loves and trusts you.
13. Do not feed cats milk or tuna. Oil (or water) from a can of tuna, sprinkled with dry food, is very beneficial for cats in moderation. – keeps
14. To end the laser chase game, give your cat a treat to give her a sense of accomplishment and show her that she did a good job. — rauanimalhospital.com
15. When you move to a new location, unpack the tray first. Then "unpack" the kitten and put it next to the litter box, so it knows where it is... Cats use the litter box as a "home base" and start exploring from there. — ruforealz
And don't forget to lock them in the bathroom before all the boxes get into the house, so they don't jump out the door. — Valerie G.
16. It is recommended to play with your cat for 15-20 minutes before going to bed so that she can release all her excess energy. This bedtime game will calm your cat and help her sleep better through the night.
And if they only get wet food once a day, give it to them at dinner time, so they don't wake you up at 4 am to eat. — Valerie G
17. Teach your cat to come when called; it's convenient and can save her life. If she runs outside, you can call her back home.
18. Touch his ears, paws, and stomach often, so the animal gets used to the areas you touch with your hands. — MemerDreamerMan
19. From an early age, touch your cat's paws and toes frequently. If they get used to having their toes trimmed, it will be much easier for them to clip their nails later. — old.reddit.com
20. A great way to keep your house cat active, especially in a small house, is to install shelves or towers so they can climb.
21. Store-bought toys are fun for us humans, but most cats are happy to scatter things like bottle caps, pipe cleaners, and old playing cards.
22. Store dry cat food in a plastic flake container. If you leave cat food in an open bag, you risk spoiling it.
23. Give your cat running water. Some cats love running water, and a filter helps keep the water fresh. — preventivevet.com
24. Take care of your sofa. By installing bait scratching posts, you can give cats a place to stick their claws without damaging your belongings. — petmd.com
25. If your cat is crazy about catnip, consider growing your own. Catnip is relatively easy to grow in pots and will give you endless fun. Keep the banks out of the kitten's reach until you're ready.
26. If you're short on space, make a tiny hammock for your cat.
27. Clean their collars thoroughly. They are full of dirt and bacteria, so make sure they are fresh and clean. — preventivevet.com
28. Don't let your cat play with your hands. By allowing your cat to play wrestling with your hands, you teach her that biting and scratching are acceptable behavior.
29. Build a patio so your kitties can taste outdoor life.
30. Get a cat tracker. Look for one that's lightweight, small enough to attach, and either makes noise or has an app that does so when you're near it.
31. Place blankets and pillows near windows. If your cat likes to watch the world from the window, let her do it in comfort. You can also make it easier for yourself to get a perfect sleep by placing blankets and pillows on tall stands, such as tall bookshelves.
32. When the cat is sick and needs medicine, crush the tablets into a powder, mix them with a bit of water into a paste and apply them to the cat's mouth with a brush. -Current-Try-3301
It is better to ask if medicines are available in liquid form. I have had cats all my life as pets. It's much easier to squeeze a dropper of tincture - usually meat-flavored to make it taste better - into their mouth than to get them to swallow a hard pill that tastes like a pill. Also, cats are not like dogs. You can't hide a drug in their food. They will leave you a licked bowl with a new tablet at the bottom. — Kathryn Baylis
33. Add green tea to the tray to reduce odor.
34. Make your cats less aggressive towards each other. Share their resources. Reduce competition between cats by placing several of the same bowls, beds, and litter boxes in different parts of the house.
35. Never give a cat a treat unless she works hard for it. Training your cat has essential benefits. You stimulate her body and mind, which helps her stay healthy.
36. Place pine cones in plant pots because your cat is uncomfortable with stepping on them and won't climb inside.
37. Make a window sill so the cat can see what's going on outside. — petplace.com
38. Harsh cleaning chemicals can harm cats, so try using homemade solutions when you need to clean up cat urine. Vinegar is excellent at killing bacteria, so use it. — petmd.com
39. Cover exposed cords with split tubes to prevent cats from chewing through them.
40. Spend a few extra minutes in the morning or evening combing your cat, and you'll have less hair all over your furniture!
41. Use cat toothpaste that contains an enzyme that cleans their teeth and breath. Especially since it looks like a soft treat!
PLEASE take care of your cat's and dog's teeth as much as possible. Every animal tolerates or can be trained to accept this to some degree. Still, dental care can be costly (I am a dental hygienist who also had a dog with the dental disease - our dog had an annual checkup and cleaning with extractions, and it usually costs around $1,000). My husband had a cat as a child that died of a periodontal infection. Our new dog has been taught to expect and enjoy brushing his teeth every night after he goes outside for the last time. I started by putting some pet toothpaste on my finger and letting her lick it off. Then I moved my bare finger in her mouth and around her teeth as she licked off the toothpaste. Then I introduced her to the pet toothbrush, letting her lick off the toothpaste and get used to it. — ItsJess
42. Try to keep a balance of wet and dry food. This can be especially helpful for cats who need more water but like to eat dry food rather than canned food. — petmd.com
43. Rubber brushes are an excellent tool for removing stubborn hair from carpets and floors. doglab.com
44. Serve cat food on a shallow plate to prevent overeating.
Yes, kneading is perfect. They take longer to eat and are much less likely to vomit. — Valerie G
45. If you need to bathe your cat, do it in the sink, not the tub. — preventivevet.com
46. Make food shelves, so your cat's food is out of the dog's reach.
47. If you need to take either to the vet, leave the carrier a few days in advance. It will become less intimidating if it turns into a familiar piece of home furnishings for a while. — troopervet.com
48. Put tin foil in places you don't want your cat to climb. Most cats hate the rustle of foil. — vetstreet.com
49. Don't bathe your cat. Due to their rough tongues, they are usually able to keep their fur clean without any help from humans. — purina.com
50. If your cat has hairball problems, use cat grass to provide fiber. — Hillspet.com
51. Flushable cat litter is great. It is made from biodegradable materials, does not harden when mixed with water, and is considered safe to flush toilets. — greatpetcare.com
52. Get your cat used to brushing. Use a small, soft-bristled brush or fine-toothed comb and hold the kitten gently with the brush or comb. Let him sniff, but don't let him attack; you don't want him to think that fighting grooming tools are acceptable. Gently brush or brush your kitten a few times and then let him go. — thehonestkitchen.com
It also helps them get used to the flea comb, which is effective at trapping fleas between the teeth when you comb them; plus, cats love grooming (comb their fur but don't press too hard because it hurts them). Please ensure you're near a sink to sink them in or have a bowl of rubbing alcohol you can put in while brushing. If you find yourself combing out more than a couple of fleas, it's time for a flea treatment. — Kathryn Baylis
53. Apply double-sided tape to surfaces you don't want your cat to jump on. The cat will soon learn to avoid these places, as she thinks there might be something sticky on them.
54. Use natural wood as a stylish cat scratching and climbing post.
55. Draw a circle around your pet's food bowl with chalk to keep ants away.
56. Cats are more attached to places than to people. If you move, don't be surprised if your cat leaves to find his way home. Prevent this by preparing a feline paradise in your new home: plenty of apparently affordable food and water, toys, litter, and interesting feline places to explore.
57. Use an old triangular bag of chips, toss it once, and then the cat will play alone for a while. — dannieupton
58. Do not use your hand or wiggle fingers to play. They will associate it with prey and will want to bite and attack. — Alarming-Two61
59. Wean the cat to walk on the table. Pay attention to which side the cat usually jumps on the table. Place a large tray there, so it peeks over the edge of the countertop. Now, if the cat tries to climb on the table, it will fall.
60. If you have a computer connected to an extension cable, purchase a cable box. Cats like to lie in warm places; extension cords are friendly, they will eventually step on the switch, and all your work will go down the drain.
It is quite simple to deceive the human brain, it is enough just to change the angle, but leave the familiar details in their places. As soon as this is done, the brain will immediately begin to curl up into a tube, because it will be absolutely sure that it sees one thing, but at the same time the consciousness will persistently let you know that something is wrong here. Angle is a powerful thing with which you can create very cool illusions, and now we will prove it to you. Next, there are 20 deceptive photos that will try to fool you from Reddit users, and we advise you not to resist too much, because it is quite fun 🙃
Let's start with something simpler, for example, this dog
In fact, the dog is lying on the ground with its paws against the wall.
Opening the gate to a parallel world
photo was taken fromusing a drone. In fact, these are just steps that go into the water.
Fall into infinity
In fact, this girl is just lying in the subway station 🚇
There is no cliff in this photo
The tree was uprooted from the ground along with the soil due to a storm, and the "STOP" sign was apparently added later 🛑
Lots of boats in thesky
This is actually a photo of Grant Park and Lake Michigan, which was taken from a skyscraper on Michigan Avenue in Chicago 🛥️
soon as you rotate this photo clockwise, it immediately starts looking pretty ridiculous.
PS: the guy next to the girl just did a great job :)
Just decided to take a photo next to atree
This photo was taken after a storm in Iowa, USA, and, as you might have guessed, the tree lies on the ground.
The legendary photo of the "flying ship"
In fact, this is a sunken car near the lake, on the shore of which there are firefighters.
Quite difficult to understand until you see the original
Now everything fell into place 🙃
At the sight of this photo, even the most ingenious people come to a dead end
Explain: the tree grew at an, because of which its branches began to block the road. Instead of chopping down the tree, the authorities decided to simply prune its branches and foliage so that they would not interfere with passing cars. On the left, the tree was also pruned so that its branches would not interfere with the power line ⚡
Streets of San Francisco
In fact, the road is sloping in this image, but what really adds to the realism of this photo is the white tree in front of the car, which has exactly the same slope as the road 📐
Space mine ship?
This is actually a flat surface, or rather the marble floor of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence, Italy 🛕
Motor ship Costa Concordia, the story of which, like this photo, is not so simple
The ship passed 52 times a year along the same route, but on January 13, 2012, it suddenly flew into a reef and sank 🛳️
This photo was done during the sinking of the ship after it lay on its side.
By the way, during the investigation, the captain of the liner Francesco Schettino admitted that he decided to bring the ship closer to the coast of the island of Giglio and greet his friend 🤦♂️
"My cats love to sleep in strange positions"
In so strange that they sometimes deny gravity and snore on the back of the sofa 🛋️
Well, you know that everything is not what it seems 😉
Photoshop? Magic? A poster for Stranger Things?
This photo is actually just upside down. Fallen yellow leaves lie in the water 🍂🍁
This parking lot in Seattle, USA
This photo looks a lot like a collage of different photos glued together, but this is a real photo of a multi-story parking lot called a Sinking Ship.
The parking lot was built back in 1965, and since then, the building has been ridiculed many times and called the "ugliest building in Seattle", but in 2019 it was recognized as the "coolest" parking lot in the United States.
And finally, the last mockery of your brain
Trees felled after the storm, photographed from a height 🌳🌳🌳
When traveling to different countries, do not forget that the inhabitants of these countries can, and most likely will be, different from you and me and from each other. In other words, the inhabitants of France differ from the inhabitants of Holland (not only in language, but also in culture, habits and, of course, cuisine), and the Icelanders are completely different in their habits, culture and behavior from, say, the Japanese.
Residents of different countries told what tourists should not do at their homes
Therefore, do not be surprised that the locals will advise you at first glance strange things. Just take note - they know better! So here are 20 tips from Reddit users who want to tell you something!
1. Do not litter in nature reserves
Canada is here! Please do not litter in our reserves. — Drifty_Canadian
2. Do not pester with conversations and keep at least one meter of personal space
Finland, if you're wondering: don't talk so damn much. Don't sit close to people.
Maintain at least one meter of personal space. Leave no tip. Don't bargain. Just be quiet. Drink more. — Anomuumitar
3. Don't pet the kangaroo
Australia: Just don't go near and pet a kangaroo in the wild. They will beat the hell out of you! —Tronspecial15
4. Don't go to Temple Bar
Dublin, Ireland: Don't Go to Temple Bar! Tourists always stop to ask for directions... I try to tell them that there are nicer and much less expensive places, but since all the guidebooks tell them that this is a place worth visiting, they don't want to listen to me either. — Gwendilater
5. Don't Annoy the Royal Guard
United Kingdom: Don't feud with Her Majesty's Guard. They have every right to take action if you provoke them. — Snuggle proof
6. Do not get out of the car and do not approach the police when you are stopped
USA: Do not get out of your car or approach a police officer when you are stopped by the police unless you are ordered to. — TheBassMeister
7. Don't drive everywhere!
Iceland: Just because you've watched Top Gear, don't think you can go wherever you want! In fact, this probably applies to most of the countries that Top Gear has visited. — vadlaheidi
8. Don't Go to the Beach Without Sunscreen
Australia: Don't visit our beaches without first applying sunscreen. Wear clothing and polarized sunglasses. We have the highest skin cancer rate in the world due to the strong UV radiation in the summer. Also don't swim with your clothes on - you will drown. — halfcastaussie
9. Don't buy maple syrup at the first stall you see.
Quebec is here, well, Canada: don't buy maple syrup at the first stall you come across, it will be too expensive. Just go to the grocery store and you'll save big. — OneManYordleGang
10. Don't go to favelas (slums)
Brazil: Don't go to favelas (slums), usually not for people who don't live there. Even the worst locals don't go there without someone who knows someone or lives there. I honestly don't understand why so many tourists want to go to the worst part of the country. — theChaos77
11. Be careful when hailing a taxi
Poland: be careful when hailing a taxi at the airport/railway station. Most guys will try to pick off foreigners. — Wu-TangLAN
12. Never get off the bus without looking both ways.
Denmark: Don't get off the bus without looking both ways. Almost all bus stops have a bike path between the sidewalk and the road. This means that if you just get off the bus as soon as you get to your stop, you will be run over by a man on a steel contraption moving at a very dangerous speed. This can be a bloody, expensive, and very embarrassing moment.
The same applies to when you need to get on the bus. Don't just walk up to it and jump: look both ways before crossing the bike lane.
13. Never criticize the BBC or NHS
UK: Never, Never! Don't criticize the BBC or the NHS.
This is ours! We can complain all we want because we pay for it. And we love to complain too. This is our unofficial national sport.
You are just a guest - if you ever need to use the BBC or the NHS, you should not complain about it! — StuHardy
14. Don't discuss your political views with anyone.
USA: Tell someone your political views and they will never treat you the same way whether they agree with you or not. — CarrieDune
15. Don't mention anything German
Netherlands: Please don't say that we are in some way like the Germans. We are not like them. We are not like them at all! We just don't mention anything German!
Also, don't walk on the bike path and don't feed the pigeons! Yes, smoking in public places is okay, but don't do it in crowded places or when children are around. — Maklo_Never_Forget
16. Don't sit in a pub waiting for someone to serve you.
United Kingdom: Don't sit at a pub table and wait for someone to come and take your order.
The reason why? They just won't do it! — Brickie78
17. Don't try to hug people or shake hands.
Japan: stop being stereotyped. Don't mention the war. Don't try to hug/shake people's hands. Keep order!
18. Never kiss in public
India: You can urinate, but you can't kiss in public. — Kamalnathan
19. Don't tip
South Korea: Tipping is acceptable in some restaurants but is generally considered rude and demeaning. — Shinters
20. Don't wear camouflage/military clothing
Barbados: Do not wear camouflage clothing. - apophis-pegasus
Reddit is set to become a public company in 2022, valued at $15 billion. Here are top 50 interesting facts that made them so succesfull
Reddit. Anyone who follows the news closely will certainly come across numerous references to Reddit - a real giant that is rapidly gaining popularity from year to year. But, unlike Facebook, the immigration of population did not happen there. For most users, the social news site remains a mystery - a kind of overseas wonder of the world that the mind cannot understand. And there are several reasons for this.
Reddit is a social news site that was once created to make it easy to find and share links to news, articles, and just interesting content. But over time, the portal grew, destroying the popular Digg, and now it is, in fact, a platform for conversations, that is, a forum, an image board, and so on. Links and their discussions remain an important part of the platform, but only a part. Increasingly, people come here to communicate, having escaped from sinking forums and dead sites.
Due to the huge popularity of the portal, many users use it to draw attention to a particular issue, or, more often, a site. Many sites have experienced the so-called “Slashdot effect”, when one link to Reddit (sometimes even just in the comments) leads to an overload of the site’s servers due to the influx of visitors.
Reddit may once have seemed like a strange alternative to popular social networks where anonymity continues to be valued and where people are addressed by nicknames rather than names, but now it has become the standard platform for both just chatting and connecting with fans. AMAs (Ask Me Anything) are constantly held here, when a star (yes, anyone in general) answers questions in the comments for an hour. This only emphasizes the influence of the site and its role in the modern world.
Reddit is the fastest growing site on the internet. This is a website where anyone can hyperlink to interesting content from all over the internet. If you've never visited Reddit, chances are you won't like it for the first time. The design is inspired by the early days of the web with small fonts that can easily distract a new user. But looks are deceiving. This is evidenced by the extensive statistics of Reddit. Bemorepanda collected some interesting facts.
1. It hosts 6 million daily users and internet marketers, promoters, spammers, creators are fighting to get this total user share pie for free. But no one succeeds because of their community-driven and heavily moderated structure. Only really popular content is promoted on Reddit.
2. The secret behind Reddit's popularity is the anonymity of users and the insignificance of user accounts. You click on any user profile and you will be redirected to a page that shows their submissions, comments, etc. along with a link and comment karma. No, selfies with fake facial expressions, without focusing on yourself and copying text about yourself. This is the real power of Reddit. It is focused on content, not users.
3. Digg was the successor to Reddit and was a pioneer of news voting sites. Both websites were on par in 2010, but Reddit's nuclear growth since 2010 has propelled it into the top 50 websites on Earth, in just 5 years.
4. In addition, its anonymity allows the user to speak their mind and go beyond creating or presenting content without thinking about what others will think. Check out a screenshot of the most popular post in Reddit history.
Registration on the site is instant. No personal information is required, just like a phone number. In this sense, the site continues to follow the precepts of the old Internet, and this is very good.
At the moment, Reddit is going through perhaps the most difficult period in its history - the transition to a new design. We all know how painful this process is for sites with an attached audience. Reddit is no exception - it's been in the process of being updated for a long time now, and as is often the case, the redesign didn't get users excited. The new version, currently in beta and optional, strips the portal of its archaic charm and adds more modern elements. Beginners will most likely want to use the newer version, which is much more logical. Everyone else rightly points out a lot of new problems. For example, the redesign significantly reduces the ability to customize subreddits, making them more unified.
The entire site is divided into subreddits - interest groups or just communities united by an idea. Initially, there was supposed to be one main "reddit", but the idea did not catch on, although the site still has default reddits, to which all newcomers are subscribed. The /r/popular subreddit includes the most important entries of all groups, excluding some controversial subreddits, such as those dedicated to Donald Trump. /r/all is the sitewide popularity feed without any filter. The user is free to choose what interests him - in this sense, you can draw an analogy with YouTube and its channels. Or with LJ and band news feed. In general, everything is very simple, albeit unusual.
Any site like Reddit at first seems like a dump of content that is impossible to sort through. In fact, it is possible, but Reddit itself will hardly help you with this. Finding content here is not very easy - as well as the subreddits that interest you. Among experienced users, it has long been customary to joke about how bad site search is, and the anecdote is not without truth. Therefore, even if the search is possible, I most often use search engines for this task - or rather, Google, which indexes the site very quickly. All other search engines, including the growing DuckDuckGo, are experiencing some difficulty in finding fresh entries.
5. Anyone who visits Reddit regularly can easily answer it. Nearly 40% of Reddit's top stories are images from the image-sharing site imgur.com. Imgur gets almost 30% of its website visitors through Reddit.
6. In fact, Reddit does not allow users to upload images to their server. Imgur founder Alan Schaaf saw this as a great opportunity and created imgur. When he launched Imgur, he posted an ad on Reddit for his new product.
7. The total amount of funds spent by the founders of Reddit on its advertising since its inception is only 500 US dollars, and this is also for stickers.
8. Reddit's founders received $12,000 in initial funding to launch the idea, of which they only spent $500 on their website's promotional activities as well as stickers.
9. In a post written by Alexis Ohanion about Fast Company, he stated that it was the most sound investment he had ever made.
10. The Reddit Snoo mascot was there before the site even went live.
Many Reddit users have been silently consuming content for years, with no desire to add anything of their own. However, most often you will want to insert your word. To do this, in each subreddit there is an opportunity to add your entry, share a link or photo.
Unlike forums, on Reddit, the relevance of a post is determined by its rating. This is, in fact, a system of likes, but, like in YouTube, entries can be both “plus” and “minus”. This is called upvoting and downvoting. If your entry gets a good upvote ratio, the system considers it worthy of attention. So from the “new” section, the record crawls into “hot” and “best”. If you posted something really interesting or original, then, depending on the number of subreddit subscribers, it can even crawl out to the main page of the site - and there you are already guaranteed endless "karma" and the attention of millions of visitors.
It is impossible to find a formula that would guarantee a 100% “hit”. For a recording to work, a perfect set of circumstances is required: the relevance of the recording, the right time, the urgency, and so on. Of course, there are various tricks that can only be learned over time. Even really great content can get lost in the garbage stream. It often happens that your picture passes the attention of the masses, but when someone posts it again in a couple of days, it will immediately fly up to the main site. Try to figure it out.
"Karma" (that is, the counter of upvotes, or likes) is calculated in the user's profile. There is no sense in it, but attention to your own record is always nice. The owners of great karma consider themselves, if not the elite, then very respected people. It is reminiscent of Google Questions and Answers (if you remember such a service), where the most erudite experts liked to brag about their achievements.
11. In an interview with the website, Alexis Ohanion revealed that he started working on the logo even before it was clear how the site would work. He would sketch in his marketing class or whenever he had free time.
12. In the early days, the founders of Reddit made a lot of fake accounts to make the site look active.
13. In a video for an online educational website, Steve Huffman explained that in the early days of Reddit, he and Alexis created hundreds of fake accounts to make the site more active because no one else was submitting any content to the site at the time. and there was a lot of empty space that didn't look very pretty.
14. Reddit launched the commenting system six months after it first launched.
15. It's good that in just six months, Steve and Alexis realized that without comments, this community could not survive.
16. A graduate student analyzed the top 850,000 Reddit posts to find how to create successful posts.
17. Randy Olson, a computer science graduate student at Michigan State University, posted a blog post on how to create a successful Reddit post. His advice was backed up by his analysis of 850,000 top Reddit posts out of the 4,200 most active subreddits.
The popularity of the site and the activity of its audience attract the attention of companies that are trying to advertise themselves in a less obvious way. Reddit is a great place to draw attention to your site or even your product, but obvious self-promotion will be easily figured out by moderators (read Reddit and business below). But if you're an artist who wants to raise their profile, a writer who's written something interesting, or a startup with an interesting idea, then Reddit can be the perfect tool for your own promotion. The main thing is to choose the right subreddit. Do not forget to read the rules - each subreddit has its own rules, and non-compliance with them leads to the removal of the post or even the ban of the user.
If your comment receives a large number of dislikes, it will be hidden from other users, although it can still be seen if desired. Often the "reputation" that looms from this ranking affects how often you can post. Subreddits can put a limit on the number of posts per minute, and this can seriously limit your ability to take an active part in the life of the subreddit.
Upvotes and downvotes, despite some controversy in their implementation, are very important for maintaining order. If social networks like Twitter or VKontakte almost always rage with chaos, with obscenities, swearing and spam, then “karma” on Reddit allows you to hide bad comments and raise quality ones. Thanks to this system, the discussions on the site look like a smart dialogue, and not like a kindergarten, which is most often seen on other popular Internet sites.
18. His post includes tips like when is the best time to post, what to write, what heading to use and many other great tips, you should check out his post.
19. The first post on Reddit appeared 13 years ago and was called The Downing Street Memo. You can still find it at the following link. At first, most of the content on the site was written by the creators of the resource themselves - they created a lot of fake accounts from which they filled the site with interesting links and news, thereby creating the appearance of an active resource.
20. Comments first appeared on the site in December 2005, and sections (subreddits) only in March 2008.
21. At the same time, the latter were met with hostility - the users of the site did not understand what the need for such “segregation” was, because the population of the resource at that time was very modest, and the need to scroll through all the subreddits in search of new news then seemed strange.
22. From the moment of his birth until about 2010. Reddit actively competed with Digg, which is extremely similar in design and purpose. Reddit was born just a few months later, but Digg was much more popular at the time.
23. Everything changed dramatically in August 2010, when the creators of Digg ruined their project with a bad design update. Users of the resource were furious and for a whole month the main page was filled with messages with complaints, requests to return the old version of the site, as well as links to Reddit - annoyed people urged everyone to change the platform, leaving for competitors.
24. Over the next year, the popularity of Reddit skyrocketed, while Digg fell. At the same time, at first, as many as 20% of Reddit's monthly traffic was from Digg.
25. Theoretically, any Reddit user should strive for the same thing - to have their post appear on the front page. But is it possible to achieve this result by following some magical "formula for success"? As it turned out - it is possible.
26. In this universal formula, there will be several factors that you will need to consider: this is the time and day of the week when you will publish the post; brightness or scandalous content; correct title wording. There is also the possibility of buying votes - there are corresponding resources that sell them for real currency.
27. But any Redditor will tell you that the most effective (albeit cynical) way to earn votes that will eventually lead you to the main page of the resource is to steal someone else's content. The usual repost of someone else's post, which has already appeared on this resource before, will lead you to success much faster than any original content.
28. In 2013, a study was made, the results of which showed shocking statistics: over a 17-day period, more than 52% of the materials that reached the main page had already appeared on the forum before. Moreover, in the same 17-day period of time indicated in the study, and not several years before.
29. If you use the Google Ngram Viewer resource, you can see how often a particular word was used in world literature centuries before you were born. Thanks to him, we can note with surprise for ourselves that the word Reddit already existed, and its use has been declining since the 1700s.
30. This strange fact is connected with the existence of the Latin word REDDO, which means "give back", "return" or "restore". At the same time, in the REDDIT form, this word means “it returned”, and REDDITOR means “the one who returns”. Thus, all users of the Reddit resource who call themselves "redditors" literally turn into reposters and people who steal other people's content.
31. Thanks to the collective power of this resource, Reddit has saved its users more than once.
32. One of the most striking cases can be called an incident that occurred 3 years ago, when a user under the nickname RBradbury1920 reported mysterious yellow reminder stickers that appeared in his apartment. He was sure that he did not stick them on, and suspected that this was some kind of bad joke on the part of the owner of this apartment (he rented it).
33. However, these pieces of paper contained information that was known only to RBradbury1920, which further confused this strange mystical case. A Reddit user decided to turn to his favorite forum for advice - should you call the police or just call the landlord for a serious conversation?
34. He advised the topic starter to buy an inexpensive CO tester that could confirm this hypothesis. And indeed, that was the problem. The tester showed an off-scale concentration of this gas, which in such cases can lead to various problems with the brain, as well as memory loss.
35. Subsequently, RBradbury1920 unsubscribed that throughout the whole year he visited various medical specialists in order to regain his lost health. And only after a long course of treatment, his body returned to normal.
36. In August 2015, Roskomnadzor added Reddit to the register of banned sites. The reason for the blocking was a request to remove one of the pages of the resource from the Gosnarkokontrol. It contained instructions for growing mushrooms containing narcotic substances. After a call from the administration of the resource to the department, a day later, the resource was unblocked.
37. Reddit has restricted access on the territory of the Russian Federation to prohibited information.
38. The post, which drew the attention of the State Drug Control Service, was posted by one of the Russian-speaking users with the nickname rsocfan intentionally and specifically “for the RKN”. It was a provocation to block a popular resource.
39. However, another user with the nickname Kakkerlak offered an alternative explanation for what happened - he clung to a small detail in the description of the RBradbury1920 apartment. He talked about an unusual tiny bedroom, devoid of any windows. Kakkerlak suggested that it could be due to severe carbon monoxide (carbon monoxide) poisoning that RBradbury1920 was exposed to due to poor ventilation in his bed.
40. And finally, a fresh interesting event. Reddit users (by the way, 53% of whom are from the United States) made popular the YouTube channel of Russian cosmonaut Oleg Artemiev, which almost no one watched. The video of the astronaut got on Reddit and after 5 days scored 84k pluses. “This is a Russian cosmonaut named Oleg who posts videos from the International Space Station on his channel. His new video from space, posted five hours ago, has only 17 views. It captures the flight through the entire station,” wrote the user.
41. Reddit ads are often forgotten in the paid social world, in part because other systems seem to have more impressive targeting capabilities or are talked about more. For some advertisers, this can bring bad luck.
42. Reddit gets over 21 billion screen views per month and the platform is used by 6% of adults online. Over 70% speak English, and a significant proportion are from the US.
43. Although Reddit has an extremely diverse audience, a sizable segment of users have high sales revenue of $75,000 or more per year.
44. There are two types of ads on Reddit that marketers can use to their advantage.
45. The second type of ad will appear in feeds. They will look like posts, except for the blue "Promoted" tag at the top. When users click on these ads, they are taken directly to the landing page of your choice, not to the talk page.
46. Reddit is demographic and geo-targeted, like all your standard paid social platforms you know and love, where you can target by age, gender, location, and interests.
49. There are over 2.2 million different subreddits, ranging from broad ones (like "finance") to much more niche ones ("vegan beauty").
50. Some ad platforms have high minimum ad spends, resulting in a high entry threshold for companies that want to try out new platforms or that have a low budget.
We do not doubt that you, our dear reader, have a curious mind and love to learn something new. And in this case, what could be better than the facts, of which there are an incredible amount! There are so many that it is impossible to know them, even if you have seven spans in the forehead.
Facts - and nothing but facts
Just for such interested people, we at Bemorepanda have prepared a portion of facts that are hard to believe but which, nevertheless, are accurate. And no matter what area you are more interested in, something is interesting for everyone.
Want to see what we have found for you in the corners of the Internet? Then let's get started. Just a warning: we picked up only bare facts, so if you are overcome by doubt in their integrity, you can find confirmation of them yourself, as well as get more detailed information. Our task is to give you a fishing rod)))
1. Apple didn't make the first iPhone.
2. Ravens can hold a grudge.
3. Marie Curie is the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences.
4. Cows kill more Americans every year than sharks.
5. Dogs smell cancer.
6. Some planets produce diamond rain.
7. Undercover Detroit cops in the drug business once got into a fight with another group of undercover cops.
8. One person once survived two atomic bombings.
9. A 70-year-old woman once ran seven marathons in seven days on all seven continents.
10. Bees can detect bombs.
11. Potato chips cause more weight gain than any other food.
12. Goosebumps are for protection from predators.
13. A dentist invented cotton candy.
14. The first person convicted of speeding drove eight miles per hour (13 km/h).
15. Chewing gum increases concentration.
16. “New car smell” is the smell of dozens of chemicals.
17. A patent for a fire hydrant was lost during a fire.
18. Space smells like grilled steak.
19. Your liver can recover in three weeks.
20. In Germany, people help toads cross the road.
21. The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.
22. Sea lions can dance to the beat.
23. Dolphins were trained to use in wars.
24. Baby blue whales grow 200 pounds (90.7 kg) daily.
25. There are moonquakes on the moon!
26. Kids ask 300 questions a day!
27. Hair and nails grow faster during pregnancy.
28. The "M" in M&Ms means "Mars" and "Murry."
29. Rollercoaster rides can help get rid of kidney stones.
30. Agatha Christie has sold over 2 billion books.
31. Water makes sounds depending on whether it is hot or cold!
32. Humans are just one of about 8.7 million species on Earth.
33. Whenever you shuffle a deck of cards, you get a combination that never existed.
34. In Nebraska, there is a city with a population of one person!
35. Dinosaurs lived on all continents.
36. Bee hummingbirds are so tiny they are mistaken for insects.
37. The person who wrote Dracula has never been to Transylvania.
38. The cast of Friends still makes about $20 million a year.
39. Newborns don't cry.
40. Pineapple acts as a natural meat tenderizer.
41. You lose up to 30 percent of your taste buds while flying.
42. The legend of the Loch Ness monster is almost 1500 years old.
43. In a restaurant in New York, grandmothers work as chefs.
44. The longest book title is 4558 words!
45. Some people have an extra bone in their knees.
46. Tornadoes can cause "fish rain."
47. Shrews are the only mammals besides humans that deliberately seek out spicy food.
48. A tree frog can hold urine for up to eight months.
49. The English word with the most definitions is "set."
50. The famous "Typhoid Mary" infected more than 50 people while cooking for them.
51. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
52. There is graffiti that is 1000 years old!
53. Bill Gates donated nearly half of his fortune.
54. America accidentally dropped an atomic bomb on South Carolina in 1958.
55. Large forks will make you eat less.
56. Guys do more housework than husbands.
57. The human body glows.
58. Chinese police use squads of geese.
59. Heads on Easter Island have bodies.
60. It is impossible to hum with your nose held in.
61. Apple pits are poisonous!
62. The Slinky toy was invented by accident.
63. Your nose works one nostril at a time!
64. Many bones in the foot don't harden until you're an adult.
65. Bees sometimes sting other bees.
66. There is a textbook written by an author with artificial intelligence.
67. Some sea snakes can breathe through their skin.
68. Children's medicines once contained morphine.
69. Our European ancestors were cannibals.
70. Cheetahs don't roar.
71. The hottest spot on the planet is Libya.
72. One day, Pharaoh ordered his slaves smeared with honey to drive away insects.
73. Playing the accordion was once compulsory for teachers in North Korea.
74. Sharks can live for five centuries.
75. There is a fish with legs.
76. Peanuts are not nuts!
77. The first computer was invented in the 1940s.
78. Nutmeg can be deadly poisonous.
79. You can always "see" your nose.
80. The longest wedding veil was as long as 63.5 football fields.
81. Koalas have fingerprints.
82. Pigs are constitutionally protected in Florida.
83. There is a device that creates energy from snowfall.
84. Newborns do not have kneecaps.
85. Blue Ivy Carter is the youngest person to appear on the Billboard chart.
86. More human twins are being born now than ever before.
87. France has a dozen time zones.
88. Bananas cannot reproduce.
89. A chef's hat has 100 folds.
90. Many languages have common roots.
91. Sharks existed before trees.
92. Ants have a built-in FitBit.